Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: solaris redirection
Operating Systems Solaris solaris redirection Post 302527423 by achenle on Friday 3rd of June 2011 09:06:22 AM
Old 06-03-2011
You first need to define what you mean by "output order".

Stdout and stderr are two distinct streams of data. In general there is no concept of order between the two.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help with redirection

Here is my problem. I don't know make this redirection thing work. The output file (called output.c) looks like this #include<stdio.h> int main() { int k; int m; print f("%d\n", k); printf("%d\n", m); return 0; } the input file(called input.c) is this #include<stdio.h> int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shallon1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection stdin

hello all, I need to create a password change utility for a database. I need to gather at the command line the username, password and database sid. I have the program currently doing this. What I would like to do is not have the new password appear on the screen when I do my read command.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whited05
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection

Hi, The code below works, it's a part of a bash shell script that serve to search a pattern $pattern_da_cercare in the files contained in a directory $directory_iniziale. Now the proble is: How can I redirect stderr to a file? PS: so I want to redirect ALL the errors to a file. I tryed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Redirection

Hi Guys, I m new to UNIX and new to this forum. Was wondering if someone can help me understand redirection (standard input output pipeline etc) for starters, not too sure what this would mean who | sort > sortedfile | pr | lp im starting to understand common commands but when throwing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmack123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/O redirection

Hello everyone,I'm reading a book and there's code fragment: exec 3>&1 ls -l 2>&1 >&3 3>&- | grep bad 3>&- exec 3>&- It says that the red part of that code does not close fd 3 but the green does close the fd 3.I can't understand that.....Why?Any predicate will be appreciated.:) (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection

Hello All, I am using the below script to gather various tools running by the user, we have more than 100 tools running on the server so my challenge is to redirect memory & cpu load to the file with the name of the tool.so am using the below script i am stucking how to redirect to the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo and redirection

I am trying to write a simple script which prints some output, but also saves the same in a logfile. echo hello echo hello >> logfile Is there anyway i Can write single sentence of code and get the same result: ( i am using CSH ) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about different redirection

explain the redirections 1>, 2>, 3>, ..... and 1< ,2<,3<..... where we use these things thanks Thread moved from AIX forum (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Redirection does not work in Solaris

Hi all, i have been trying to direct o/p of one command to file, but i don get any entries in file but ouptput get displayed on command prompt. I have tried many options but still , it does not work. please guide. here is the command -bash-3.00$ /usr/local/bin/sudo lpstat -p | grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies
STDIN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  STDIN(3)

NAME
stdin, stdout, stderr -- standard I/O streams SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> extern FILE *stdin; extern FILE *stdout; extern FILE *stderr; DESCRIPTION
Under normal circumstances every Unix program has three streams opened for it when it starts up, one for input, one for output, and one for printing diagnostic or error messages. These are typically attached to the user's terminal (see tty(4)) but might instead refer to files or other devices, depending on what the parent process chose to set up. (See also the ``Redirection'' section of sh(1) .) The input stream is referred to as ``standard input''; the output stream is referred to as ``standard output''; and the error stream is referred to as ``standard error''. These terms are abbreviated to form the symbols used to refer to these files, namely stdin, stdout, and stderr. Each of these symbols is a stdio(3) macro of type pointer to FILE, and can be used with functions like fprintf(3) or fread(3). Since FILEs are a buffering wrapper around Unix file descriptors, the same underlying files may also be accessed using the raw Unix file interface, that is, the functions like read(2) and lseek(2). The integer file descriptors associated with the streams stdin, stdout, and stderr are 0, 1, and 2, respectively. The preprocessor symbols STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, and STDERR_FILENO are defined with these values in <unistd.h>. Note that mixing use of FILEs and raw file descriptors can produce unexpected results and should generally be avoided. (For the masochistic among you: POSIX.1, section 8.2.3, describes in detail how this interaction is supposed to work.) A general rule is that file descriptors are handled in the kernel, while stdio is just a library. This means for example, that after an exec, the child inherits all open file descriptors, but all old streams have become inaccessible. Since the symbols stdin, stdout, and stderr are specified to be macros, assigning to them is non-portable. The standard streams can be made to refer to different files with help of the library function freopen(3), specially introduced to make it possible to reassign stdin, stdout, and stderr. The standard streams are closed by a call to exit(3) and by normal program termination. SEE ALSO
sh(1), csh(1), open(2), fopen(3), stdio(3) CONSIDERATIONS
The stream stderr is unbuffered. The stream stdout is line-buffered when it points to a terminal. Partial lines will not appear until fflush(3) or exit(3) is called, or a newline is printed. This can produce unexpected results, especially with debugging output. The buffer- ing mode of the standard streams (or any other stream) can be changed using the setbuf(3) or setvbuf(3) call. Note that in case stdin is associated with a terminal, there may also be input buffering in the terminal driver, entirely unrelated to stdio buffering. (Indeed, nor- mally terminal input is line buffered in the kernel.) This kernel input handling can be modified using calls like tcsetattr(3); see also stty(1), and termios(3). CONFORMING TO
The stdin, stdout, and stderr macros conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''), and this standard also stipulates that these three streams shall be open at program startup. Linux 2.0 March 24, 1998 Linux 2.0