Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparing the 2nd column in two different files and printing corresponding 9th columns in new file Post 302527421 by sk1418 on Friday 3rd of June 2011 09:03:29 AM
Old 06-03-2011
Assume that you have 16 files which name in pattern f1-f16, the following command should do the job:

Code:
cat f{2..16}|awk 'NR==FNR{a[$2]=$NF} NR>FNR{if($2 in a)print $2" "a[$2]" "$NF}' f1 -

note that the 1st column in result is the 2nd column in f1 (ab1, ab2...), not (1). since I don't know how does the (1) come to the result. you didn't explain the rule of it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Columns and printing the difference from a particular file

Gurus, I have one file which is having multiple columns and also this file is not always contain the exact columns; sometimes it contains 5 columns or 12 columns. Now, I need to find the difference from that particular file. Here is the sample file: param1 | 10 | 20 | 30 | param2 | 10 |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzusa
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 files with awk and updating 2nd file

file1: (unique files) 1 /pub/atomicbk/catalog/catalog.gif 693 2 /pub/atomicbk/catalog/home.gif 813 3 /pub/atomicbk/catalog/logo2.gif 12871 4 /pub/atomicbk/catalog/sleazbk.html 18338 file2: (duplicate filenames allowed) 28/Aug/1995:00:00:38 1 /pub/atomicbk/catalog/home.gif 813... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jontjioe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files and printing 2nd column if match found

Hi guys, I'm rather new at using UNIX based systems, and when it comes to scripting etc I'm even newer. I have two files which i need to compare. file1: (some random ID's) 451245 451288 136588 784522 file2: (random ID's + e-mail assigned to ID) 123888 xc@xc.com 451245 ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirm8
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing column of two different files and print the column from in order of 2nd file

Hi friends, My file is like: Second file is : I need to print the rows present in file one, but in order present in second file....I used while read gh;do awk ' $1=="' $gh'" {print >> FILENAME"output"} ' cat listoffirstfile done < secondfile but the output I am... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two text files by a column and printing values that do not match

I have two text files where the first three columns are exactly the same. I want to compare the fourth column of the text files and if the values are different, print that row into a new output file. How do I go about doing that? File 1: 100 rs3794811 0.01 0.3434 100 rs8066551 0.01... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Taking the average of two columns and printing it on a new column

Hi, I have a space delimited text file that looks like the following: Aa 100 200 Bb 300 100 Cc X 500 Dd 600 X Basically, I want to take the average of columns 2 and 3 and print it in column 4. However if there is an X in either column 2 or 3, I want to print the non-X value. Therefore... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Select Columns from two CSV files in UNIX and create a third file based on comparision

Hi , I want to compare first 3 columns of File A and File B and create a new file File C which will have all rows from File B and will include rows that are present in File A and not in File B based on First 3 column comparison. Thanks in advance for your help. File A A,B,C,45,46... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ady_koolz
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 2 files, one with 1 column and 2nd file with multiple columns

Hi, I need to find the difference between 2 files in unix and write the result in the new file File1: A B File2: X 123 hajkd Y 345 adjfka A 123 djafjhd B 678 dsndjks Output file: X 123 hajkd Y 345 adjfka Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing same column from two files, printing whole row with matching values

First I'd like to apologize if I opened a thread which is already open somewhere. I did a bit of searching but could quite find what I was looking for, so I will try to explaing what I need. I'm writing a script on our server, got to a point where I have two files with results. Example: File1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitabrev83
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two columns in two files and printing a third based on a match

Hello all, First post here. I did not notice a previous post to help me down the right path. I am looking to compare a column in a CSV file against another file (which is not a column match one for one) but more or less when a match is made, I would like to append a third column that contains a... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
17 Replies
MRTG-LOGFILE(1) 						       mrtg							   MRTG-LOGFILE(1)

NAME
mrtg-logfile - description of the mrtg-2 logfile format SYNOPSIS
This document provides a description of the contents of the mrtg-2 logfile. OVERVIEW
The logfile consists of two main sections. The first Line It stores the traffic counters from the most recent run of mrtg. The rest of the File Stores past traffic rate averates and maxima at increassing intervals. The first number on each line is a unix time stamp. It represents the number of seconds since 1970. DETAILS
The first Line The first line has 3 numbers which are: A (1st column) A timestamp of when MRTG last ran for this interface. The timestamp is the number of non-skip seconds passed since the standard UNIX "epoch" of midnight on 1st of January 1970 GMT. B (2nd column) The "incoming bytes counter" value. C (3rd column) The "outgoing bytes counter" value. The rest of the File The second and remaining lines of the file contains 5 numbers which are: A (1st column) The Unix timestamp for the point in time the data on this line is relevant. Note that the interval between timestamps increases as you prograss through the file. At first it is 5 minutes and at the end it is one day between two lines. This timestamp may be converted in OpenOffice Calc or MS Excel by using the following formula =(x+y)/86400+DATE(1970;1;1) (instead of ";" it may be that you have to use "," this depends on the context and your locale settings) you can also ask perl to help by typing perl -e 'print scalar localtime(x)," "' x is the unix timestamp and y is the offset in seconds from UTC. (Perl knows y). B (2nd column) The average incoming transfer rate in bytes per second. This is valid for the time between the A value of the current line and the A value of the previous line. C (3rd column) The average outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second since the previous measurement. D (4th column) The maximum incoming transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. This is calculated from all the updates which have occured in the current interval. If the current interval is 1 hour, and updates have occured every 5 minutes, it will be the biggest 5 minute transfer rate seen during the hour. E (5th column) The maximum outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. AUTHOR
Butch Kemper <kemper@bihs.net> and Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.16.2 2008-05-16 MRTG-LOGFILE(1)