Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For Loop Range Create Directories Post 302527086 by jaysunn on Thursday 2nd of June 2011 10:26:33 AM
Old 06-02-2011
For Loop Range Create Directories

Hello,
I am a bit stumped on this. I am attempting to create 24 empty directories with a loop. Seems like I have incorrect syntax. When I run the following command I get the error below.

Command
Code:
$ for i in {2..24}; do mkdir $i_MAY_2011 ; done

Error x 24
Code:
mkdir: missing operand
Try `mkdir --help' for more information.

When I run the command as so it works but it creates brackets in the directory name which is unacceptable.

Command
Code:
$ for i in {2..24}; do mkdir {$i}_OPRA_MAY_2011 ; done

Directory Created
Code:
{N}_OPRA_MAY_2011

Would someone please be kind enough to explain what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Jaysunn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Range specification in for loop

Hello Friends, I want to use range in for loop. For that i used (..) operator but it is not working. Ex: for i in 1..24 do echo $i done Instead of printing 1 to 24 nos, it gives o/p as: 1..24 Please help me Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niyati
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Create range of values

Hi, I have a file with the below like values with integers only in sorted order (May or may not be in sequence) Eg: File1.txt ----------- 1 2 3 4 5 6 . . . . . 10000 My requirement here is to create a range of values out put to a temp k (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiva447
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create range from a list

Hello everyone, I am trying to create a script that will make a range or ranges based on a sorted list of numbers. Eg. If the list is like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 14 15 The output range should be: 1-7 12-15 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop directories mv files to target in range

Hello, Currently I have a painstaking process that I use to move file for a monthly archive. I have to run the same two commands for 24 different directories. I wish to have a script with a for loop automate this and I have not been able to succeed. Here is what I do 24 times. I know this is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use variable to set the range of a for loop

Hi; For sure there's an easy answer to this one that I am not finding.. I first set a variable, say b1a:] max=5 then I want to use max to set the range for a for loop like so (it should run for i in 1:5) b1a:] for i in {1..$max}; do echo $i; done {1..5} I would like the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbr950
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create individual entries from a range of numbers?

I want to create entries based on the series as in examples below: Input: 2dat3 grht-5&&-15 3dat3 grht-16&&-30 4dat3 ftht-4&&-12 5sat3 ftht-16&&-20 Output: 2dat3 grht-5 2dat3 grht-6 2dat3 grht-7 2dat3 grht-8 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
7 Replies

8. Solaris

File System Error: BAD SUPERBLOCK AT BLOCK 16: NUMBER OF DIRECTORIES OUT OF RANGE

Hi All, we are having a file system error in one of our servers. The server failed to boot in usual user mode. Instead boot with single user mode and requesting to run a FSCK manually to repair the corrupted. see the below output. Netra T2000, No Keyboard Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddhike G
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to create variables to pass into a bash loop to create a download link

I have created one file that contains all the necessary info in it to create a download link. In each of the lines /results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-6-Medexome_67_032/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.67... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL script to capture range of lines and create two independent variables

Hi I am having a code as stated below module abcd( a , b , c ,da , fa, na , ta , ma , ra , ta, la , pa ); input a , b, da ,fa , na , ta , ma; output c , ra ,ta , la ,pa ; wire a , b , da , fa ,na , ta , ma; // MBIST Structures... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)