Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX need advice on AIX virtualization Post 302527036 by johnf on Thursday 2nd of June 2011 06:09:12 AM
Old 06-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishango
Hi all,

first of all, beg your pardon for dummy questions. Please help me to sort it out.

I'm an internal consultant in a technology unit, and currently we are relocating some applications to another Data Center. In the old Data Center, applications are running on IBM AIX, mostly AIX 5.3. The IT team is saying that all these applications are virtualized.

We want to buy new servers in another Data Center for these applications. AIX 5.3 is already end of marketing, i.e. we cannot buy a new server with AIX 5.3. My IT department is saying that this means that we necessarily need to hire system integrators to migrate applications to AIX 6. That is quite expensive.

I don't quite understand their statement. I thought that if application is virtualized, you don't really care what is the version of the host OS. I.e. we can buy a new server with AIX 6.0 for the new Data Center and still run AIX 5.3 on it as a guest OS, without migrating the application.

Please let me know where the truth is. Many thanks!
IBM / AIX virtualisation means more than you are assuming. In the true virtualised environment a system will have a pair (or quad) Virtual I/O servers (VIO server). This effectively virtualises the network, SCSI (Fibre NPIV), and HDD.

The VIO servers are themselves LPARs on a P series frame but not of a normal type. Once the VIO servers have been created further LPARs can be created on the frame using the virtual I/O devices provided by the VIO server. This includes VIO provided paths to external disks or virtualised logical volumes on the VIO disk subsystem to provide Hard Disk Drives for LPAR use (rootvg etc).

Once the LPAR has been created it is loaded with an O/S. This can be AIX, Linux, or in special circumstances iseries (AS400). Restricting this example to AIX the LPAR can have a number of different versions of AIX up to and including AIX 7.1.

Therefore your assumption that 5.3 cannot be loaded onto an LPAR is incorrect. Equally incorrect is your assumption that you cannot purchase a new server loaded with AIX 5.3. The P series is delivered unconfigured with a number of processors, memory etc. Once installed the LPAR configuration takes place as I have indicated above. Also any application will run on an LPAR and have no knowledge of the fact that it is a virtualised environment. If your applications are not AIX 6.1 compatible then your LPARs in the new data centre will have to AIX 5.3.

You need to find out what the VIO environment is on the old servers and see if this can be replecated in the new data centre.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by johnf; 06-02-2011 at 07:14 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to johnf For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Virtualization question for non-AIX user

Hello, My first post to the Unix forums, thanks for having me! The division of the company I work for uses a xseries/redhat/VMWareServer solution to make sure that we keep hardware overhead low and use our machines to as near capacity as we can. These boxes are Intel with usually dual or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greenteabagger
1 Replies

2. AIX

AIX virtualization: IVM initial network setup

I have a system model 505 p server. I am trying to virtualize my server. My network admin has given me 10 IP addresses (with the DNS already updated with names that map onto each ip). E.g.: IP1 maps to m1.lab, IP2 maps to m2.lab, etc I have been following the redpaper "Integrated Virtualization... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsaix
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Virtualization Software

Hello peopel I am interesting in implement a virtualization system on HP-UX v3. I have some Integrity servers with this OS installed but I want to virtualize one of them because I have a problem that has no solution in HP-UX and I have to install RedHat for this reason. Then I don't know what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lekram
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Redhat Virtualization 2.2

Hi Friends, Is there any one who is working on Redhat Virtualization (RHEV -- KVM)? Regards, Arumon (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
4 Replies

5. AIX

New to aix virtualization direction ?

picked up a 9111-520 p5 hardware recently with 8 Gig of RAM, lots of internal disk space...6 x 140 gig had 7.1 pre-installed, and managed to upgrade the firmware to latest SF240_xxxx goal is to virtualize this and have LPARs running aix 7.1, 6.x, and Rhat for ppc .. need some... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
13 Replies

6. HP-UX

Virtualization options for HP-UX 11.31

Hello, I am looking for a virtualization option for HP-UX that will allow VMs to run completely independent of each other with full Operating System capabilities (not a guest OS with limited features/access), with their own IP addresses and dedicated resources that will not interfere with any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
4 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris virtualization

Hi everyone, I have ten servers with solaris (diffrent versions). there is solaris 10, solaris 6 and solaris 8. some are SPARC and some are x86 I would like to move them to one server so they all will be virtual. Is it possible? how? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bregtux
4 Replies

8. AIX

AIX Virtualization Rights

Hi people, I just registered on this forum and this is my first message. I'm trying to understand the AIX Virtualization Rights (or whatever name it's called). If I have a S814 quad-core server with licensed AIX Enterprise Edition for four cores and also licensed PowerVM Enterprise... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raphaelmsx
8 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Hardware Migration w/ HACMP...Advice Needed

Hello Everyone, Hope you all are doing great! As you can see by the title on top, we are in the process of migrating alot of our servers from Power5 (physical) to Power8 (Virtual). Now it's turn for servers with HACMP Cluster on it. Let me lay out the environment like: OLD ENVIRONMENT: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: uzair_rock
12 Replies

10. AIX

Hobbyist looking for AIX 5.3 licensing advice...

Hello. I'm a hobbyist who likes to buy old(er) machines on eBay then play around with them (hardware and software). My current project is an IBM RS/6000 43p-150. It came with AIX 5.3 pre-installed, no media or licenses or documentation of any kind. One of the things I like to do is run various... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bminear
4 Replies