Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to rename files in a folder - please help with script Post 302526716 by ctsgnb on Wednesday 1st of June 2011 08:51:58 AM
Old 06-01-2011
Code:
ksh
j=0
for i in chp*.wav
do
     let j+=1
     echo mv $i ${i%??_*}_bloomy_$(printf "%05d\n" $j).wav
done

Example if i initially have :
Code:
# ls -1 *.wav
chp01_00001.wav
chp01_00002.wav
chp02_00001.wav
chp02_00002.wav

If i run the following commands :
Code:
ksh
j=0
for i in chp*.wav
do
    let j+=1
    echo mv $i ${i%??_*}_bloomy_$(printf "%05d\n" $j).wav
done

Then it displays the followin result :

Code:
mv chp01_00001.wav chp_bloomy_00001.wav
mv chp01_00002.wav chp_bloomy_00002.wav
mv chp02_00001.wav chp_bloomy_00003.wav
mv chp02_00002.wav chp_bloomy_00004.wav

Remove the "echo" after havin checked it does what you need

Last edited by ctsgnb; 06-01-2011 at 01:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename files in a folder

i have a folder that contains 100's of files: abc, bca, def, ghi.... i want to rename abc with 1, bca with 2, def with 3, ghi with 4 and so on. my way, i create a file.txt with contents: 1 2 3 4 i use while loop to rename my files. without using file.txt, i just want to rename abc with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename all the files in a folder..

Hi Guys, I have 5000 files in a folder. all are .DAT files. I want to rename them as .TXT files. I tried the following command. mv *.DAT *. TXT But it is throwing an error. Can you please tell me what am i doing wrong. Thanks & Regards, Magesh. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from folder and rename them

hello, I need to build a shell script that receives the folder to copy by parameter and copy all files except thumb.db to another folder and rename them like, file.jpg renamed to file_bb1.jpg. can someone help me Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeker
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename folder/directory after running sort script

Hello, I'm trying to create a script that sorts documents by author (found in file name) and then create a directory for that author. For example, Input: John - Paper_1.txt John - Paper_2.txt Mark - Paper_1.txt Jill - Paper_1.txt Output: dir/John/Paper_1.txt dir/John/Paper_2.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jl487
1 Replies

5. Linux

rename files in a folder with date&time stamp

Hi, I want to rename all the files (more than 100 files) in a fodler to another folder with date&time stamp. foe eg, file1.dat file2.dat file3.dat .. to be renamed as file1100629_16_30_15.txt (yy-mon-dd_hh_mi_ss) file1100629_16_30_16.txt .. so on (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroz
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Vim or Ex to rename all files in a folder

Is there a way to use Vim or Ex to rename all files in a folder? For example if i have a folder with Apples1.txt, Apples2.txt, Apples3.txt, could I rename all files so they are Oranges1.txt, Oranges2.txt, Oranges3.txt ? I know with :bufdo %s/apples/oranges/g|update you can do this for inside... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VimNewUser
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to rename all files within a folder...

Hi. I don't have any experience with making scripts in bash. I need a simple script to rename all files in a folder to the format file1.avi, file2.avi, file3.avi, and so on..... Please note that the original files have different filenames and different extensions. But they all need to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dranzer
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

looping through files, doing something, and rename in new folder

Hi, I'm really new at this but have several hundred files that i need to do something with and save with a new name. The files are 26 columns wide. I want to select some for renaming. I've figured out what to do to each file ("file-1.CSV"| grep -v "=" | cut -f 1-4,9,14,15,18,19,20,21,22,24,26... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob101
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writitng a script to rename file name and copy to other folder

Hi All, My requirement is as follows: A file (say abc) will be having list of the .txt file names. I need to read this abc file line by line and rename the .txt file names inside it and move them to other folder/path. Eg: abc ------- file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Output (should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pavan.yadalla
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename all files and folder containing underscore?

I want to rename all files and folder containing underscore in name and replace underscore with hyphen. Currently I am using following code, rename '_' '-' */*/* It was working but now it is showing me "Argument list too long" Please help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: opticalpigion
2 Replies
RMM(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)