Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mkdir: cannot create directory `/builds/somedir/': Permission denied Post 302526626 by Technext on Wednesday 1st of June 2011 04:47:05 AM
Old 06-01-2011
mkdir: cannot create directory `/builds/somedir/': Permission denied

Hi,

I am trying to run a shell script which contains an mkdir command as part of the execution. The script fails with the following error:
Code:
  mkdir: cannot create directory `/builds/somedir/': Permission denied

The user running the script is 'harry' and belongs to group 'school'. The target directory is owned by another user ‘sally’.

ls -ld /builds/somedir/
Code:
  drwxr-xr-x+   14  sally  bin  1024 May 31 18:01 /builds/somedir/

The above path (/builds/somedir/) is a Samba share.

To make it work, I tried few things but to no avail:
--------------------------------------------------
Code:
setfacl -d -m u:harry:rwx /builds/somedir
     setfacl -d -m g:school:rwx /builds/somedir

2. Added following entry in /etc/sudoers file
Code:
# User privilege specification
  harry ALL=(ALL) ALL

--------------------------------------------------

After making these changes, I tried running the mkdir command manually also but no luck. Smilie

The OS is GNU\Linux.

There is one thing weird that I just noticed: even with root user, I was not able to create directory in the given path. Does it has anything to do with Samba share?

After noticing this behavior, I removed the above entry from sudoers file, and instead added the following but still no luck.
-----------------------
Code:
harry ALL=(sally) ALL

-----------------------

Any ideas\inputs?

Regards,
Gaurav

Last edited by pludi; 06-01-2011 at 05:55 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./ Permission Denied.

Could someone tell me why I am getting a permission denied message when I attempt to run this on an out file? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trouscaillon
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Permission denied message for parent directory

Hi All, I have an issue that's eating my head for few days. I would appreciate if anyone could help me out in this to resolve this. In Solaris 8 container I am facing the below issue. As oracle user when I do ls -l in /dboracle mountpoint getting permission denied error messages. $ ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreerag446
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

mkdir: cannot create directory

Hi, I have network mount on two servers. One server I can create any directories without any issues, other server with the similar mount, I am not able to create directories starting with number! Creation, name start with a number: $ mkdir 1212 mkdir: cannot create directory `1212': No such... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] how to create multiple directory in one mkdir command

Hi, Unix Gurus, - I have a simple question, I need create multiple directory. I use mkdir {dir1, dir2, dir3) I got one directory as {dir1, dir2, dir3} I searched @ google, I got answer as above code.:wall::confused: Anybody has any idea Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/phpmy/html': Permission denied centos

for incompatibility installation problems, I've decided to reinstall Centos 6.3 as can be seem from the df output, I've partitioned both / and and /home directories $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda8 12G 5.3G 6.5G 45% / tmpfs ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to create a script to run as root, permission denied

Hello all, I am trying to create a script or a .command file that will run for me and my other techs on many, many Mac OSX computers that will add a file to the /etc/ folder called /etc/launchd.conf Every time I try to run the script, I get "Permission Denied" when trying to put the file into... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DonnieNarco
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. is it possible to create it ?

Is is possible to create the directories in following manner. for example my home dir is empty and i want to create dir a/b/c mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission to Oracle server to create a directory in a particular path

i need to give permission to ORACLE SERVER to create a directory in a particular path. How to do it?Oracle server is installed on SOLARIS (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
16 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)