Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Ownership Change
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Ownership Change Post 302526519 by methyl on Tuesday 31st of May 2011 07:31:17 PM
Old 05-31-2011
With a permissions problem like this, please show the output from "ls -lad" for each relevant file and parent directory. A weird edited output is not exactly useful because we cannot determine which field is the user and which is the group. Where does "100" come from I wonder? Is "xyz" both the name of a group and the name of a user in group "100"? Hard to guess.

First impression is to record the owner and group of the file before editing each file, then issue "chmod owner:group filename" after editing and set the permissions to something like 775.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files.

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files without changing permissions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mborin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix ownership from directories and file

Hi, I have newly installed sun solaris on my pc since I would like to learn something more about unix. During the installation, I had to assign a password for the super user root.After the installation, the book I am following suggested me to create a new user which I did. My home directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giulianob
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help regarding file ownership

hi friends,i have a doubt,if there is a file for which i have only read access then is there any way to execute it,plz reply soon (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit007
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am the owner,yet not allowed the change the ownership

sm860 IS the owner of the files below,but yet sm860 cannot change the ownership to bpt3a1.Please let me know why ? See below for details --- sm860@unixs741_DEV:/usr/gdp/home/ftp/bpt3a1/incoming/ahdb/T5/pcasav/daily $ ls -l pcasav* -rw-r--r-- 1 sm860 gdpintegrators 821 Sep 21 16:15... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSHETTY
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

change multiple ownership

Good afternoon, Sir's, i owuld like to search for some advice, whats the fastest way to change multiple files ownership. For HostnameA will be their basis, for what ever files and permissions that hostnameA has, it should replicate the permissions and ownership to hostname B. $hostname... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file ownership confusion

Hello all, I have a script that runs on both the test and production box. The script is owned by a user (abcd for example) with permission set to 700. When this script is run as a root, the log file generated has owner and group as abcdowner and abcdgroup respectively. Now, when I run the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To change the ownership at one shot

i have a directory in which i have Multiple files: Following are they==== -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 886 Jan 21 16:38 trunkn.xsd -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 244 Jan 21 16:38 trunknameCache.xml -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1240 Jan 21 16:38 subscribercache.xsd -rw-r--r-- 1 root ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the need of ownership to a file/dir?

Hi, I understand the permissions of a file/directory. I just needs to understand how ownership works. Can some one help me on this please? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux file ownership

Hi Friends, I am using RHEL5.3 64bit. I have a data filesystem on this, which have lot of files copied from another server. I cannot see correct owner and group displayed for these servers. It shows 113 for owner and 755 for group. Anybody please tell me why it is? Regards, Arumon (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arumon
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change ownership of a directory

I want to change the ownership of a directory ONLY. my id id1 owns the files under the /mypath/bin but /mypath/bin is owned by id2 If i log into id2 I can't do chown id1 /mypath/bin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: klarue
1 Replies
dput(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   dput(1)

NAME
dput - package upload tool for Debian SYNTAX
dput [options] [host] package.changes ... DESCRIPTION
This is a tool for uploading Debian packages into the archive. You may specify to which host it should upload the file by passing it an host argument. If omitted, dput uses the host specified by default_host (or, historically default_host_non-us) configuration option. Also you have to pass the program one or more name of package.changes files and then they will be sequentially uploaded. This program will then upload the package for you into the archive, using a selected upload method. Currently dput supports ftp, scp, rsync, http, https, and local. The method scripts have been split from the main script so it is easy to add new methods. Look in /usr/share/dput/ for examples. Should something go wrong with your upload to destinations using the Debian upload queue daemon (e.g. ftp-master), you can remove files from the upload queue with dcut(1). OPTIONS
-c, --config - define a config file to use. -d, --debug - activate debugging mode, helpful if bugs occur. -D, --dinstall - do a dry run of dinstall after the upload. -f, --force - force an upload of an already uploaded package. -h, --help - print help information and exit. -H, --host-list - print the lists of hosts that dput knows about. -l, --lintian - run lintian before the upload. -U, --no-upload-log - do not write a .upload log file after uploading. -o, --check-only - check only the package and do not upload. -p, --print - print the configuration that dput is using. -P, --passive - use passive ftp instead of active. Note that passive ftp is the default unless specified otherwise in the configuration file. -s, --simulate - simulate an upload only. -u, --unchecked - don't check GnuPG signature on the changes file. -e, --delayed - Upload to a DELAYED queue, rather than the usual Incoming. This takes an argument from 0 to 15. Note that a delay of 0 is different from no delay at all. -v, --version - print version information and exit. -V, --check-version - check if the user has already installed and tested the package before putting it into the archive. ENVIRONMENT
This program doesn't depend on any environment variables. But if the variable USER is set, it will be used. LICENSE
This program is distributed under the terms of the GPL. BUGS
Please send bug reports to the author. FILES
/etc/dput.cf global dput configuration file ~/.dput.cf peruser dput configuration file SEE ALSO
dput.cf(5) dcut(1) /usr/share/doc/dput /usr/share/dput AUTHOR
dput was written Christian Kurz. The current maintainer is Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>. Many other people have contributed to this code. See the Thanks file. COMMENTS
The author does appreciate comments and suggestions from you. October 5, 2001 dput(1)