Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting binaries PATH check in a ksh script Post 302526390 by asanchez on Tuesday 31st of May 2011 11:08:13 AM
Old 05-31-2011
binaries PATH check in a ksh script

The situation is a data center with around 800 servers.
Each server has installed one of these unix-like OS: rhel, sunos, aix, hp-ux.

And we have to make scripts general enough to being able to be executed over all these servers.

Furthermore, sometimes the scripts will be executed as a normal user and sometimes they will be executed as root.

The problem is:

sometimes the path for the binaries used into the script are in one place, and sometimes they are in another place. So the variety of different places the binaries used into the script are placed is big.

So, to make the scripts "bomb-proof" we're using this strategy:

First line of each script is containing a:

Code:
PATH=$PATH:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/var/tmp:/etc:/home/ouruser:/export/home/ouruser...

In general, we're assigning to the PATH variable the content it had ($PATH) plus the content of all the PATH variables of the user root of each type of OS plus some "usually known places for rare binaries temporary used like inqraid in /var/tmp or in /home/ouruser" on some servers.

After doing this PATH assignment, we're checking for each command used in the script if it is in the path, checking it with the
Code:
which

command. If one of the binaries used in the script is not in our "MEGAPATH" we exit with a message saying the binary X needed to executed the script is not in the PATH.

My question is:

Is this the better way to ensure the different binaries we should use in a script are in the PATH before continuing with the execution of the script? I'm open to different suggestions. Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining absolute PATH within KSH script

Hey everyone, I'd like to determine the absolute path of where a script resides from within the same script. For example, I have a script - /tmp/myscript. Regardless of how that script is call - '/tmp/myscript', 'cd /tmp;./myscript', '. /tmp/myscript' - I'd like to be able to determine - from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsatch
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Full path of executing script in ksh?

Hello all, Here's the scenario: I've got a script, let's call it script1. This script invokes another script, which we'll call set_env, via the dot "." command, like so: File: #!/bin/ksh # region_id=DEV . set_env ${region_id} and so on. Script set_env sets up an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BriceBu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to check the actual path instead of link path

Hi I have a path link /test/df/link1/actual/file1 here link1 is actually a softlink link1= a/b i need to print the ACTUAL FULL path instead of a linked path is there any direct command to print the actual path of any linked path eg showPhyscialPath /test/df/link1/actual/file1 and it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check path exist or not in UNIX shell script

UNIX Shell Script I'm in /home/suneel dirctory in that directory need to check for a path for example com/src/resources If Path exists need to copy the files from one directory If path not exist need to create the folders and copy the files UNIX shell script help required (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I write a ksh script that will check if all ftp files are received?

I am trying to code a ksh script that will check to see if all 26 incoming ftp files have been received before proceeding to the next function, which is to rename each file. Here is the pseudo-code of what I am trying to do: <<STEP_1>> IF all ALS files have been transmitted then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doug145
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare binaries

Hi All, I am very new to scripting and wanted to write a script for comparison of folder including binary files like ear's and jars. Following is the job for which I need it: 1. Compare two folders recursively 2. Compare the binaries like ear's but exclude files like MANIFEST files 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick.topgun
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help I want script to check filename, size and date in specify path.

Please help, I want script to check filename, size and date in specify path. I want output as: DATE: YYYYMMDD HH:MM ------------------------------------------------ fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akeji
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script to check the SAN dual path.

Hello, I would like to create a shell script which would check whether the hosts have SAN dual path or not. If yes, then I should get a success message, else should get a list of hosts on which SAN dual path is not working. Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in KSH to check if a process its up or down.

Hi all! Im working on a simple script in KSH (just started) to check if a process its up or down, but im kind of lost with the following error. Script: #!/usr/bin/ksh psup=$(ps -ef | grep sftp | egrep -v grep | wc -l) if ($psup > 0); then echo "Process SFTP running" else ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ARSport
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to check if certain process is running

I have to kill the process "test" for a maintenance I do but want the script to check when it comes back up. I can get what I want when I run this while loop: while true;do ps -ef | grep test | grep -v grep | sed -e 's/^*//';sleep 60;done but I want the script to do it for me and as soon as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
6 Replies
SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)

NAME
surfraw-update-path - updates PATH in shell config files SYNOPSIS
surfraw-update-path [-add] [-remove] [-check] [-sys] [-all] [-help] [-shell=SHELL] DESCRIPTION
surfraw-update-path adds the surfraw elvi directory (/usr/lib/surfraw) to your PATH in your shell's config file. Currently it supports bash, sh, csh, tcsh, ash, dash, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es Don't forget to login again or source your login files for it to take effect. OPTIONS
-check Checks to see if the surfraw config code is present. This is the default. -add Adds the surfraw config code. -remove Removes the surfraw config code -sys Updates the system-wide shell config instead of the user. Must be done as root. -shell=SHELL Selects the shell to configure. Defaults to the value of the $SHELL environment variable. Currently supported shells are: sh, ash, bash, dash, csh, tcsh, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es. -all Attempts to configure the startup files for all known shells -help Gives a usage message RETURN VALUE
-check returns 0 if the surfraw code is present in the file, 1 if it is not found, or 2 on error. All other options return 0 on success, or 2 on error. ENVIRONMENT
SHELL Used to determine which shell to configure, if -shell is not given. HOME Used to find users config files. ENV Used by posix-compliant shells to specify a startup rc file. ZDOTDIR Used to find user config files for zsh. If not set, defaults to HOME. SEE ALSO
surfraw(1), sh(1), ash(1), bash(1), dash(1), csh(1), tcsh(1), ksh(1), pdksh(1), zsh(1), rc(1), es(1) AUTHOR
Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> perl v5.12.4 2011-07-12 SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)