Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Insert string in binary file at top Post 302526307 by kumaran_5555 on Tuesday 31st of May 2011 06:15:00 AM
Old 05-31-2011
Code:
How can i append a EBCDIC string of 100 bytes to 0th position of a binary file in UNIX.

If you are attempting to insert 100 bytes at the end , then it isn't appedning at all. As far as I know, it the File system has to rearrange the blocks to accomadate the new 100 bytes.

So if you are inserting 100 bytes at the head of 60GB file, ideally i think the performance would be appending 60GB data onto a 100bytes file. I guess so.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace string in binary file

Dear all, How can replace special string with another string in binary file? Thanks&Best Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sg1207
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into top of file

how would you insert text into a existing file using aguments first arguments being the line of text and the second argument being file name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimbob
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I insert argument into TOP of file using vi?

when directing some text into a file can you choose where it goes like the top of the file (which is text aswell) or the middle?? if so how - especially would like to know how to do so in vi (text editor) If i were to enter an argument ($1) into a another argument ($2) would it would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprules
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a binary file into 2 basing on 2 delemiter string

Hi all, I have a binary file (orig.dat) and two special delimiter strings 'AAA' and 'BBB'. My binary file's content is as follow: <Data1.1>AAA<Data1.2>BBB <Data2.1>AAA<Data2.2>BBB ... <DataN.1>AAA<DataN.2>BBB DataX.Y might have any length, and contains any kind of special/printable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Averell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to insert a line at the top of a file?

say I want to insert "this is a test" as the first line into file A, besides echo "this is a test" > /tmp/tmpfile cat /tmp/tmpfile fileA >> /tmp/result, is there any simple way I can do it? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving String in a File on the top

Hello, I have a file containing data and the headers of the data and the headers of the data randomly anywhere in the file but always with the specific string col1;col2;col3 112233;1133244;112344 112233;1133244;112344 112233;1133244;112344 112233;1133244;112344 Col1;Col2;Col3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
4 Replies

8. Solaris

A string in a binary file

hi experts, anyone knows how can i find a string in a multiple binary files in a multiple directories and display the file name containing the string? i mean i have lots of folders with binary files and i am looking for specific string within one of these files i would like to know the right... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert date/time header at top of file

I'm trying to take mrt output and put it at the top of a file along with the date and time. I was able to do it at the bottom of the file with the following printf "********** $(date) **********\n\n" >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME mtr -r -w -c 10 $HOSTADDRESS >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME printf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kramer65
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a user input string after matched string in file

i am having file like this #!/bin/bash read -p 'Username: ' uservar match='<color="red" />' text='this is only a test so please be patient <color="red" />' echo "$text" | sed "s/$match/&$uservar\g" so desireble output what i want is if user type MARIA this is only a test so please... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
13 Replies
symlink(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						symlink(3)

NAME
PerlIO::via::symlink - PerlIO layers for create symlinks SYNOPSIS
open $fh, '>:via(symlink)', $fname; print $fh "link foobar"; close $fh; DESCRIPTION
The PerlIO layer "symlink" allows you to create a symbolic link by writing to the file handle. You need to write C"link $name" to the file handle. If the format does not match, "close" will fail with EINVAL. TEST COVERAGE
----------------------------------- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ File stmt branch cond sub time total ----------------------------------- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ blib/lib/PerlIO/via/symlink.pm 100.0 100.0 n/a 100.0 100.0 100.0 Total 100.0 100.0 n/a 100.0 100.0 100.0 ----------------------------------- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ AUTHORS
Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004-2005 by Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.18.2 2005-03-01 symlink(3)