Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed question - change 2d to last line in file Post 302525937 by uiop44 on Sunday 29th of May 2011 07:35:26 PM
Old 05-29-2011
sed question - change 2d to last line in file

The file is repeating blocks of text separated by a blank line. Some of the lines are unique.

e.g.:

This is unique line
This is line 2
This is line 3
This is line 4

This is unique line
This is line 2
This is line 3
This is line 4

The goal is to change/replace line 4 only on the last block, in a single pass.

Available tools are /bin/sh and some of the POSIX standard utilities. But no awk. No Perl, etc.

It's possible in sed. But how to do it in one pass?

Here's a two-pass.

Code:
sed '$d' < file |sed '$d'
printf "This is the new line 4\n"

And here's a script that changes only line 4 in the _first_ block.

Code:
# sed -nf script < file

/This is line 4/{
s//This is the new line 4/
:loop
p
n
bloop
}
p

Cheers.

Last edited by uiop44; 05-29-2011 at 10:08 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change this file with SED?

I have a file like below: I want to delete the rows which begining with "BC" "CD" and "TY" . then change every fields into one row like this at last delete the head words : USing awk to change it is not hard. I want to know how to do this work using SED ? Thank you! ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bejgirl
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change line found by pattern using sed

I want to change a line like CPM_THRESHOLD 0.8 // to a new value using sed I am trying sed -i "s/CPM_THRESHOLD/CPM_THRESHOLD\t$COH\t\t\/\//" $INPUT_4 but how can i substitute the whole line begining with CPM_THRESHOLD and substitute it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question (Removing a line of text)

I am working with bash on HP-UX server at school. As practice for scripting, I am trying to make a pretend server admin script that adds a user to the system, deletes a user from the system, and lists all users of the pretend system. I have accomplished this with a select loop. Adding users, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterscout1977
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change file contents line by line

Hi, I'm struggling to write a script to do the following, -will go through each line in the file -in a specific character positions, changes the value to a new value -These character positions are fixed througout the file ----------------------- e.g.: file1.sh will have the following 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vini99
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed command to change end of line

I am looking to change a data file into a javascript string and this is the code that I am using: sed -i '' -e 's/^/str += "/' -e 's/$/";/' file.xml The first part -e 's/^/str += "/' works as intended, but the second part -e 's/$/";/' adds an additional newline to my file, so that instead of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

change part of a line with sed

Hi gurus, I'd like to change this complete line on a file: BAN_COMMAND="/etc/apf/apf -d $ATTACK_HOST {bfd.$MOD}" to this one: BAN_COMMAND="/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s $ATTACK_HOST -j DROP" I've tried a lot without any successful . :( thanks in advance Israel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Question: Search and Replace start of line to matching pattern

Hi guys, got a problem here with sed on the command line. If i have a string as below: online xx:wer:xcv: sdf:/asdf/http:https-asdfd How can i match the pattern "http:" and replace the start of the string to the pattern with null? I tried the following but it doesn't work: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple sed question - replace from phrase to end of line

I have the following line an in input file I want to digest with sed and simple replace the bold part with a variable defined in my bash script. I can do this in several sed operations but I know there must be a way to do it in a single sed line. What is the syntax? Line in file:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: graysky
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to take file numbers from a file, pass them to sed to change strings in corresponding lines

I have a bunch of file numbers in the file 'test': I'm trying the above command to change all the instances of "H" to "Na+" in the file testsds.pdb at the line numbers indicated in the file 'test'. I've tried the following and various similar alternatives but nothing is working: cat test |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File name change with sed

I have a bunch of text files like this: Sample_S1_L001_R1.txt Sample_S10_L001_R1.txt Sample_S11_L001_R1.txt I am using the following script to add a 0 to those files with a single digit after the S: ls *.txt | sed 's/\(.*_S\)\(_.*\)/mv & \10\2/' | sh And then the following script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies
SUBST(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SUBST(1)

NAME
subst - substitute definitions into file(s) SYNOPSIS
subst [ -e editor ] -f substitutions victim ... DESCRIPTION
Subst makes substitutions into files, in a way that is suitable for customizing software to local conditions. Each victim file is altered according to the contents of the substitutions file. The substitutions file contains one line per substitution. A line consists of two fields separated by one or more tabs. The first field is the name of the substitution, the second is the value. Neither should contain the character `#', and use of text-editor metacharacters like `&' and `' is also unwise; the name in particular is best restricted to be alphanumeric. A line starting with `#' is a comment and is ignored. In the victims, each line on which a substitution is to be made (a target line) must be preceded by a prototype line. The prototype line should be delimited in such a way that it will be taken as a comment by whatever program processes the file later. The prototype line must contain a ``prototype'' of the target line bracketed by `=()<' and `>()='; everything else on the prototype line is ignored. Subst extracts the prototype, changes all instances of substitution names bracketed by `@<' and `>@' to their values, and then replaces the tar- get line with the result. OPTIONS
-e Substitutions are done using the sed(1) editor, which must be found in either the /bin or /usr/bin directories. To specify a dif- ferent executable, use the ``-e'' flag. EXAMPLE
If the substitutions file is FIRST 111 SECOND 222 and the victim file is x = 2; /* =()<y = @<FIRST>@ + @<SECOND>@;>()= */ y = 88 + 99; z = 5; then ``subst -f substitutions victim'' changes victim to: x = 2; /* =()<y = @<FIRST>@ + @<SECOND>@;>()= */ y = 111 + 222; z = 5; FILES
victimdir/substtmp.new new version being built victimdir/substtmp.old old version during renaming SEE ALSO
sed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Complains and halts if it is unable to create its temporary files or if they already exist. HISTORY
Written at U of Toronto by Henry Spencer. Rich $alz added the ``-e'' flag July, 1991. BUGS
When creating a file to be substed, it's easy to forget to insert a dummy target line after a prototype line; if you forget, subst ends up deleting whichever line did in fact follow the prototype line. 25 Feb 1990 SUBST(1)