Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation Post 302525764 by aquila_1 on Saturday 28th of May 2011 06:08:58 AM
Old 05-28-2011
Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation

Hello, I want remove ^M at end of my files line
if I use command : tr -d '\r' <inp>out it work fine
but get I the same result by manipulating the string ?
I want this because in my text file I manipulate some other part

I have input "the cat^M"
I want output "the cat"

I have made test of code but don't work

text="the cat^M"
cleantext=${text/^M/}
or
cleantext=${text#^M}

Exist a solution???

Thanks
Enrico

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a carriage return at end of variable

Is there a command in unix to remove a carriage return character(^M) at the end of a variable value? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagship99
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove carriage return between the line

Hi, I have a situation where I need to remove the carriage return between the lines. For.eg. The input file: 1,ad,"adc sdfd",edf 2,asd,"def fde",asd The output file should be 1,ad,adc sdfd,edf 2,asd,def fde,asd Thanks Shash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returning value - remove carriage return '\r' - Please help

Guys - Simple code, i am trying to get a number back from sqlplus call to a query. After that, i need to use that number in a loop. --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh VALUE=`sqlplus -silent sh/password@sh <<END set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunshine1974
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return in a record

Hi all gurus, I need help in removing carriage return existed within a record delimited by pipe <|>. Sample: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Test ing2|Remarks2 A_03|Test3|Testing3| Remarks3 Desire output: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Testing2|Remarks2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove carriage return from 65th field

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file. There are around 700 columns in the file. The 65th column has carriage return which is causing read issue with our ETL process. I would like to replace the new line characters in 65th field with "nothing" i have return the following code and need help to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return from the variable

Hi, I try to handle very large numbers with a bash script. I run ssh command in a remote server and store the output in a local variable. But this output contains a return carriage at the end. So I try to remove it by tr But I can't figure out the right notation with printf. So my problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meacham12
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes

How to remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes in a file. There are multiple CRLFs within double quotes. We are on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. The file that we are importing is a csv file from unix to windows and the file was formatted to unix2dos. Therefore all lines in the file all have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: covina
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newlines and carriage return from a csv file using UNIX

I need to remove new lines and carriage returns from csv file. Is there anything other than sed and gwak by which we could achieve this ? Any suggestions ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_Gaddale
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return and append the next line

Hi All, My requirement is to remove the carriage return in from the lines which i am reading if the length is lesser than 1330 and append the next line with it. Below is the realistic example of file structure. Input file: Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
16 Replies
SEQDIAG(1)						      General Commands Manual							SEQDIAG(1)

NAME
seqdiag - generate sequence-diagram image file from spec-text file. SYNOPSIS
seqdiag [options] file DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the seqdiag commands. seqdiag is generate sequence-diagram image file from spec-text file. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. --version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -a, --antialias Pass diagram image to anti-alias filter -c FILE, --config=FILE read configurations from FILE -o FILE write diagram to FILE -f FONT, --font=FONT use FONT to draw diagram -T TYPE Output diagram as TYPE format SEE ALSO
The programs are documented fully by http://tk0miya.bitbucket.org/seqdiag/build/html/index.html AUTHOR
seqdiag was written by Takeshi Komiya <i.tkomiya@gmail.com> This manual page was written by Kouhei Maeda <mkouhei@palmtb.net>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). May 21, 2011 SEQDIAG(1)