Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Default editor in zsh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Default editor in zsh Post 302525591 by bartus11 on Friday 27th of May 2011 06:47:40 AM
Old 05-27-2011
set -o vi should work.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing default editor

Redhat 9 I want to change my default text editor from vi to pico. When I look in the .bash_profile or .bashrc I do not see the EDITOR variable. So how do I change the default permanently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tony Empire
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using zsh

Hi all i am forced to use tcsh at work but i want to use zsh, so i have added this to my .cshrc if (! $?STARTTCSH) then if ("$tty" != "" && -x /bin/zsh) exec /bin/zsh exit endif but this now stopped me going back to tcsh if i need to, is there a way to do this, i would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Default text editor

Hi, sorry if something similar has already asked. But I am interested how to change default text editor on Unix Solaris? When I open File Manager -> Edit -> Properties.. -> Category (Advanced Settings) -> Default Editor (Other) I have something like: shelltool sh -c "sleep 3; vi $FILE"... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: spuzh
13 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)