Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with searching and then editing a file through shell. Post 302525573 by U_C_Dispatj on Friday 27th of May 2011 05:41:41 AM
Old 05-27-2011
Hi, yeah I had a play over last hour or so, the best way I figured out was to use SED and delete the whole line, then to just call the function which inputs new data and do it as such... would be nice if i could simply get it to delete the line then add data back into the same line..

And yes, strID is a unique identifier, there are checks to make sure no two are the same.

thanks for your reply !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem editing big file in vi

I have a big file, which vi opens it with message not sufficient space with file system. I am not adding any data in the file but changing some values within. To make these changes effective, it asks for forced write (w!), even after doing this, I see this particular record, change is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing a file in a shell script

Using Solaris 8. I need to create a shell script that will edit a text file. I need to look in the text file and do a search and replace. For instance, the text file name is always 'filename'. I need to open filename and replace every instance of 'oldtext' with 'newtext'. 'oldtext' is static. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowpup
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and editing file contents

Can you please help me to edit parts of a file and write into a new file. ===================================== Suppose I have a huge data dump in a file I need to search for a tag in that and cut few lines around that tag in the file. Is there a way to keep track of line numbers and operate on... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayana
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - editing file names (End of line problem?)

For lists in sed, to say what to replace, is this correct: I am hoping that this would recognise that either a "." is present, or that the substitution happens at the end of the line. For files with extensions , my script works perfectly. My problem is, files without extentions, i.e. . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busillis
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing a file via a shell script ??

Morning All: I know this might be easy but since I don't do this very often I get stumped real quick... Sun box Solaris 8 ksh... I need to edit a file via a shell script. In this file I need to locate one specific line and then remove that line plus the next 20 line below that.... Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem while searching in a file by 'AWK'

Hi , i am writing a script in which i am using following command to grep some string and then storing it's output to v, as like below :- v=$(awk -F, '{ if ( $NF ~ /DEV/ ) print $0 "_BLD01";else print $0 "_RC01" }' mytest) Here i am facing following issues:- 1. it is searcing DEV in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inderpunj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing excel file through shell script

Hi, I am having a business file in excel having charts based on data already present on it. I would like to add new rows after the existing data and refesh the chart on it using shell script. For example-- In excel file in "sheet1", There is some data in first 10 rows ( from column A to F).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing a file using shell script

HI all, I have file in the below format 1111111111_222222222_3333333 111111_22222_33333 11111111_222222_33333333333 i need to display this file like this 2222222_1111111111 22222_11111111 22222222222_1111111111111 can anyone help me with this Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in using sed command in editing a file

Hi all, I have a conf file, i want to update some entries in that conf file. Below is the code for that using a temporary file. sed '/workgroup=/ c\workgroup=Workgroup' /usr/local/netx.conf > /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp mv -f /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp /usr/local/netx.conf Sample contents of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj14r
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell quoting problem while editing a remote file using sed

value of i = solarisbox ssh $i "cat /etc/hosts | sed "s/$i\.local\.//" | sed "s/$i\./$i/" | sed "s/$i/$i.sol.com/" > /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts"While running the above one liner its i am not able to make the changes and write it to the file /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts . I know there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies
asadmin-delete-connection-group(1AS)				   User Commands			      asadmin-delete-connection-group(1AS)

NAME
delete-connection--group - deletes the connection group SYNOPSIS
delete-connection-group --user user_name --password password --host hostname --port admin_port_number --instance instance_name --httplistener http_listener_ID connection_group_ID Deletes the connection group for the named connection group ID associated with the named server instance.. OPTIONS
--user identifies the user name associated with the named instance. --password identifies the password associated with the user name. --host identifies the host name for the machine. --port identifies the administrator port number associated with the hostname. --instance identifies the name of the instance associated with the JVM option to be created. --httplistener a unique identifier for the HTTP listener. connection_group_ID a unique identifier for the connection group. asadmin% delete-connection-group INTERFACE EQUIVALENT
unknown asadmin-create-connection-group(1AS) asadmin-list-connection-groups(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-delete-connection-group(1AS)