Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Count specific word or character per line Post 302525527 by kumaran_5555 on Friday 27th of May 2011 02:42:31 AM
Old 05-27-2011
Code:
user@host> (/home/user) $ count=7
user@host> (/home/user) $ a="[|][|]"
user@host> (/home/user) $ awk 'BEGIN{FS="'$a'"} {if("'$count'"==NF){print}}' test.txt
1||2||3||4||afa||adfasf||asdf
4||2||3||4||afa||ad||a
user@host> (/home/user) $
user@host> (/home/user) $

This works as you suggsted, but you need create pattern variable for your word/char

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with scritp to count an specific word into a log

Hello my friends, I need to count how many words are into a log file, I'm using: cat logfile | grep 'word' | wc -l Cuz the 'word' appears once per line. But my logfile grow faster and at the end ofthe day is really big, so how i can count the 'word' only from (by example) line 4000 of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

count occurences of specific character in the file

For counting the occurences of specific character in the file I am issuing the command grep -o 'character' filename | wc -w It works in other shells but not in HP-UX as there is no option -o for grep. What do I do now? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character(s) very large file

I'm trying to count the number of 2 specific characters in a very large file. I'd like to avoid using gsub because its taking too long. I was thinking something like: awk '-F' { t += NF - 1 } END {print t}' infile > outfile which isn't working Any ideas would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Count amount of times of appearing of character before a word?

Hello Is there a way to calculate how many times a particular symbol appeared in a string before a particular word. Desktop/Myfiles/pet/dog/puppy So, I want to count number of occurence of"/" in this directory before the word dog lets say. Cheers, Bob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines: sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d' I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
qmail-pw2u(8)                                                 System Manager's Manual                                                qmail-pw2u(8)

NAME
qmail-pw2u - build address assignments from a passwd file SYNOPSIS
qmail-pw2u [ -/ohHuUC ] [ -cchar ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-pw2u reads a V7-format passwd file from standard input and prints a qmail-users-format assignment file. A V7-format passwd file is a series of lines. Each line has the format user:password:uid:gid:gecos:home:shell where user is an account name, uid and gid are the user id and group id of that account, and home is the account's home directory. pass- word, gecos, and shell are ignored by qmail-pw2u. If you put the output of qmail-pw2u into /var/lib/qmail/users/assign, and then run qmail-newu, qmail-lspawn will obey the assignments printed by qmail-pw2u. WARNING: After changing any users, uids, gids, or home directories in your passwd file, you must run qmail-pw2u and qmail-newu again if you want qmail-lspawn to see the changes. RULES
By default, qmail-pw2u follows the same rules as qmail-getpw. It skips user if (1) uid is zero, (2) home does not exist, (3) user does not own home, or (4) user contains uppercase letters. It then gives each remaining user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. You may change these rules by setting up files in /var/lib/qmail/users: include Allowed users, one per line. If include exists, and user is not listed in include, user is ignored. exclude Ignored users, one per line. If exclude exists, and user is listed in exclude, user is ignored. mailnames Replacement names for users. Each line has the form user:mailname1:mailname2:... The addresses mailname1 and mailname1-ext and mailname2 and so on will be delivered to user. WARNING: The addresses user and user-ext will not be delivered to user unless user is listed as one of the mailnames. A line in mailnames is silently ignored if the user does not exist. subusers Extra addresses. Each line has the form sub:user:pre: sub will be handled by home/.qmail-pre, where home is user's home directory; sub-ext will be handled by home/.qmail-pre-ext. append Extra assignments, printed at the end of qmail-pw2u's output. OPTIONS
-o (Default.) Skip user if home does not exist (or is not visible to qmail-pw2u). Skip user if home is not owned by user. -h Stop if home does not exist. This is appropriate if every user is supposed to have a home directory. Skip user if home is not owned by user. -H Do not check the existence or ownership of home. -U (Default.) Skip user if there are any uppercase letters in user. -u Allow uppercase letters in user. -cchar Use char as the user-extension delimiter in place of -. -C Disable the user-extension mechanism. -/ Use home/.qmail-/... instead of home/.qmail-... SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-getpw(8) qmail-pw2u(8)