Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need awk help to print specific columns with as string in a header Post 302525415 by Shell_Life on Thursday 26th of May 2011 03:32:39 PM
Old 05-26-2011
Could you please display a sample input (a few columns is enough) and desired output?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a word and print specific string using awk

Hi, I have list of directory paths in a variable and i want to delete those dirs and if dir does not exist then search that string and get the correct path from xml file after that delete the correct directory. i tried to use grep and it prints the entire line from the search.once i get the entire... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed command to print specific string between word and blank space

My source is on each line 98.194.245.255 - - "GET /disp0201.php?poc=4060&roc=1&ps=R&ooc=13&mjv=6&mov=5&rel=5&bod=155&oxi=2&omj=5&ozn=1&dav=20&cd=&daz=&drc=&mo=&sid=&lang=EN&loc=JPN HTTP/1.1" 302 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns where header matches a given string

Hi, I'm having trouble pulling out columns where the headers match a file of key ID's I'm interested in and was looking for some help. file1.txt I Name 34 56 84 350 790 1215 1919 7606 9420 file2.txt I Name 1 1 2 2 3 3 ... 34 34... 56 56... 84 84... 350 350... M 1 A A A A... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print specific columns one row at a time

Hello, I have the following piece of code: roleName =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $1 }'` roleDescription =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $2 }'` roleAuthProfile =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $3 }'` mappedUserID (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pr0tocoldan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare specific columns from 2 files, print new file

Hello. I have two files. FILE1 was extracted from FILE2 and modified thanks to help from this post. Now I need to replace the extracted, modified lines into the original file (FILE2) to produce the FILE3. FILE1 1466 55.27433 14.72050 -2.52E+03 3.00E-01 1.05E+04 2.57E+04 1467 55.27433... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jm4smtddd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print columns matching to specific values

Hello Friends, I have a CDR file and i need to print out 2 columns with their field position which matches to some constant values, a part of input file CZ=1|CZA=1|DIAL=415483420001|EE=13|ESF=1|ET=|FF=0|9|MNC=99|MNP=9041|MTC=0|NID=2|NOA=international|ON=1| OutPut ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Detect Specific Pattern and Print the Specific String after It?

I'm still beginner and maybe someone can help me. I have this input: the great warrior a, b, c and what i want to know is, with awk, how can i detect the string with 'warrior' string on it and print the a, b, and c seperately, become like this : Warrior Type a b c Im still very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radynaraya
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - how to print specific field if a string is matched

hi gurus, I would like to be able to use awk to process 1 file as such: abc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 flags 1 2 4 flags 1 2 5 abc 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 flags 1 2 3 abc 4 5 6 7 8 9 6 7 78 89 flags 1 2 3 flags 1 2 4 flags 1 2 3 4 I would like to be able to print field 1 and 5 when the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: revaroo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print string if tag is specific value

In the below awk I am trying to print expName only if another tag planExecuted is true. In addition to the expName I am also printing planShortID. For some reason the word experiment gets printed so I remove it with sed. I have attached the complete index.html as well as included a sample of it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print multiple required columns dynamically in a file using the header name?

Hi All, i am trying to print required multiple columns dynamically from a fie. But i am able to print only one column at a time. i am new to shell script, please help me on this issue. i am using below script awk -v COLT=$1 ' NR==1 { for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
2 Replies
RS(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     RS(1)

NAME
rs -- reshape a data array SYNOPSIS
rs [-CcSs[x]] [-GgKkw N] [-EeHhjmnTtyz] [rows [cols]] DESCRIPTION
rs reads the standard input, interpreting each line as a row of blank-separated entries in an array, transforms the array according to the options, and writes it on the standard output. With no arguments it transforms stream input into a columnar format convenient for terminal viewing. The shape of the input array is deduced from the number of lines and the number of columns on the first line. If that shape is inconvenient, a more useful one might be obtained by skipping some of the input with the -k option. Other options control interpretation of the input col- umns. The shape of the output array is influenced by the rows and cols specifications, which should be positive integers. If only one of them is a positive integer, rs computes a value for the other which will accommodate all of the data. When necessary, missing data are supplied in a manner specified by the options and surplus data are deleted. There are options to control presentation of the output columns, including transposition of the rows and columns. The options are as follows: -C[x] Output columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be '^I'. -c[x] Input columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be '^I'. -E Consider each character of input as an array entry. -e Consider each line of input as an array entry. -GN The gutter width has N percent of the maximum column width added to it. -gN The gutter width (inter-column space), normally 2, is taken to be N. -H Like -h, but also print the length of each line. -h Print the shape of the input array and do nothing else. The shape is just the number of lines and the number of entries on the first line. -j Right adjust entries within columns. -KN Like -k, but print the ignored lines. -kN Ignore the first N lines of input. -m Do not trim excess delimiters from the ends of the output array. -n On lines having fewer entries than the first line, use null entries to pad out the line. Normally, missing entries are taken from the next line of input. -S[x] Like -C, but padded strings of x are delimiters. -s[x] Like -c, but maximal strings of x are delimiters. -T Print the pure transpose of the input, ignoring any rows or cols specification. -t Fill in the rows of the output array using the columns of the input array, that is, transpose the input while honoring any rows and cols specifications. -wN The width of the display, normally 80, is taken to be the positive integer N. -y If there are too few entries to make up the output dimensions, pad the output by recycling the input from the beginning. Normally, the output is padded with blanks. -z Shrink column widths to fit the largest entries appearing in them. With no arguments, rs transposes its input, and assumes one array entry per input line unless the first non-ignored line is longer than the display width. Option letters which take numerical arguments interpret a missing number as zero unless otherwise indicated. EXAMPLES
rs can be used as a filter to convert the stream output of certain programs (e.g., spell, du, file, look, nm, who, and wc(1)) into a conve- nient ``window'' format, as in $ who | rs This function has been incorporated into the ls(1) program, though for most programs with similar output rs suffices. To convert stream input into vector output and back again, use $ rs 1 0 | rs 0 1 A 10 by 10 array of random numbers from 1 to 100 and its transpose can be generated with $ jot -r 100 | rs 10 10 | tee array | rs -T >tarray In the editor vi(1), a file consisting of a multi-line vector with 9 elements per line can undergo insertions and deletions, and then be neatly reshaped into 9 columns with :1,$!rs 0 9 Finally, to sort a database by the first line of each 4-line field, try $ rs -eC 0 4 | sort | rs -c 0 1 SEE ALSO
jot(1), pr(1), sort(1), vi(1) BUGS
Handles only two dimensional arrays. The algorithm currently reads the whole file into memory, so files that do not fit in memory will not be reshaped. Fields cannot be defined yet on character positions. Re-ordering of columns is not yet possible. There are too many options. BSD
April 14, 2012 BSD