Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Help to make awk script more efficient for large files Post 302525390 by DGPickett on Thursday 26th of May 2011 01:51:15 PM
Old 05-26-2011
Use GNU Awk? "sort ... | uniq -d | wc -l | read dup_ct"
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to make this more efficient

I have the following code. printf "Test Message Report" > report.txt while read line do msgid=$(printf "%n" "$line" | cut -c1-6000| sed -e 's///g' -e 's|.*ex:Msg\(.*\)ex:Msg.*|\1|') putdate=$(printf "%n" "$line" | cut -c1-6000| sed -e 's///g' -e 's|.*PutDate\(.*\)PutTime.*|\1|')... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files

I have a large CSV files (e.g. 2 million records) and am hoping to do one of two things. I have been trying to use awk and sed but am a newbie and can't figure out how to get it to work. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated - I'm stuck trying to remove the colon and wildcards in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metronomadic
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Shell Program to Split Large Files

Hi, I need some help creating a tidy shell program with awk or other language that will split large length files efficiently. Here is an example dump: <A001_MAIL.DAT> 0001 Ronald McDonald 01 H81 0002 Elmo St. Elmo 02 H82 0003 Cookie Monster 01 H81 0004 Oscar ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running rename command on large files and make it faster

Hi All, I have some 80,000 files in a directory which I need to rename. Below is the command which I am currently running and it seems, it is taking fore ever to run this command. This command seems too slow. Is there any way to speed up the command. I have have GNU Parallel installed on my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

5. Programming

Help with make this Fortran code more efficient (in HPC manner)

Hi there, I had run into some fortran code to modify. Obviously, it was written without thinking of high performance computing and not parallelized... Now I would like to make the code "on track" and parallel. After a whole afternoon thinking, I still cannot find where to start. Can any one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: P_E_M_Lee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple large files with awk

Hi there, I'm camor and I'm trying to process huge files with bash scripting and awk. I've got a dataset folder with 10 files (16 millions of row each one - 600MB), and I've got a sorted file with all keys inside. For example: a sample_1 200 a.b sample_2 10 a sample_3 10 a sample_1 10 a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camor
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining awk command to make it more efficient

VARIABLE="jhovan 5259 5241 0 20:11 ? 00:00:00 /proc/self/exe --type=gpu-process --channel=5182.0.1597089149 --supports-dual-gpus=false --gpu-driver-bug-workarounds=2,45,57 --disable-accelerated-video-decode --gpu-vendor-id=0x80ee --gpu-device-id=0xbeef --gpu-driver-vendor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make awk command faster for large amount of data?

I have nginx web server logs with all requests that were made and I'm filtering them by date and time. Each line has the following structure: 127.0.0.1 - xyz.com GET 123.ts HTTP/1.1 (200) 0.000 s 3182 CoreMedia/1.0.0.15F79 (iPhone; U; CPU OS 11_4 like Mac OS X; pt_br) These text files are... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: brenoasrm
21 Replies
UNIQ(1) 							   User Commands							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report or omit repeated lines SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Filter adjacent matching lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). With no options, matching lines are merged to the first occurrence. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines, one for each group -D print all duplicate lines --all-repeated[=METHOD] like -D, but allow separating groups with an empty line; METHOD={none(default),prepend,separate} -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields --group[=METHOD] show all items, separating groups with an empty line; METHOD={separate(default),prepend,append,both} -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of blanks (usually spaces and/or TABs), then non-blank characters. Fields are skipped before chars. Note: 'uniq' does not detect repeated lines unless they are adjacent. You may want to sort the input first, or use 'sort -u' without 'uniq'. Also, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report uniq translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
comm(1), join(1), sort(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/uniq> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) uniq invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 UNIQ(1)