Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed is dead
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed is dead Post 302525212 by zaxxon on Thursday 26th of May 2011 04:58:48 AM
Old 05-26-2011
Nietzsche said that about god, not sed! Smilie

The variable is enclose by singe quotes so it will never be evaluated by the shell and sowith sed will never find a match - so no change to the file:
Code:
for k in ${MOLARRAY[@]}
do
    sed -i -e '/'${k}'/d' test2
done

This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Dead SUN

My SUN V210 refuses to fully boot up. We had a power outage (ie. someone tripped the cord) and thereafter the Sun will not come up, and the OS is not starting. The LED on the front is not lit. Monitor gets no feed, so I plugged in via the management port. The system comes up to: Trap 3e. and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ireeneek
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dead.letter

HI, I am pretty new to Unix...but here is 1 serious problem...atleast for me..:-) now..the dead.letter file in /var/tmp has been growin continuously..n i dont know why..I ve even killed the sendmail process..but the dead.letter file keeps on increasin..Can anyone tell me where do I start... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisam
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Jack Kilby dead at 81

If Edison and Ford were the the greatest inventors and influencers of the turn of the 20th century... then surely Jack Kilby was probably the most influential person of the late 21st century and for time immemorial...on our way of life. A legend dies (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
7 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Dead partition on drive

We are still using solaris 1 with sunos 4.1.4 because nobody here knows Unix. My colleague did a backup (dump) to the wrong place (/dev/sd0h) and we lost this part of the drive. The information is still on tape but we cannot repartition the /dev/sd0h. fsck keeps on about the "wrong SUPER BLOCK"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tom Bekaert
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is dead.letter ??

Hi all can you please help me what is dead.letter file ? when it is created ? for the first time i have seen this file getting created in my current directory? I am using SunOs. Any IDEA ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Dead SCSI drive

I have 2 dead SCSI drives. Can anyone tell me a good way to repair the disks??? Please! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disturbe_d
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Usenet is dead

On servers i check there seems to be no news at all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
3 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Dead link in FAQ

Dead link from FAQ, then Technical FAQ: Senior Advisor - https://www.unix.com (Was about to suggest that a O/P read this FAQ). (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: methyl
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

showing dead accounts?

Got a quick question. How do you shows dead accounts (false shells) and how do you include a count at the end? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JA50
1 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)