Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCP Packet size
Special Forums IP Networking TCP Packet size Post 302524972 by olle on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 12:12:39 PM
Old 05-25-2011
Verified that the same behavior exists under Debian (with a 2.6.35 kernel). And under Arch Linux (with a 2.6.34 kernel).
And verified that the same application executed under a windows host (well, cygwin) does send TCP packets of 536 bytes when needed.

---------- Post updated at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:34 PM ----------

If anyone is interested...
Found the reason of the behavior after digging around in the TCP code of Linux. Found this function which limits the mss to half the window size (tcp_bound_to_half_wnd()). Well, it actually avoid this limiting if the max window size is less than 512, unfortunately my window is a tiny bit bigger than that so it doesn't apply to this rule.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Seeing IP packet

Hi, Is there any way that i can directly take out the IP packet and see its contents. Waiting for your answer .............. Bye (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjunath
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

0821-077 ping: illegal packet size.

Hi, When i try this command ping ukblx151.ukhx.astrazeneca.net -n 3 | grep icmp it gives following error :mad:: 0821-077 ping: illegal packet size. But when i give command ping ukblx151.ukhx.astrazeneca.net It returns correct output.:D Could you please help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishal_ranjan
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

how to get network packet size

how to get network packet size I would like get network output rate(kb/sec) I type command "netstat -i" Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs 653387 0 678202 0 but i didn't know what is it packet size , how could i get it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

TCP packet with RST flag not carrying DSCP

Hello, I'm having an issue with TCP sockets. When the TCP connection is terminated on one end, TCP packet with RST flag set is being sent to the sender. All the packets sent so far were carrying the DSCP 'AF21' set by me. But packet with RST flag is carrying DSCP '0'. Is this expected or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solace
0 Replies

5. Programming

Changing source port number of a TCP client packet

Hi all, I need to change the source port number of an outgoing TCP packet. First I have to bind the socket to a particular port(suppose 9001) but when I send the TCP packet I want to change the source port number lets say to 9002 still letting the socket to be bound to the same old port (9001).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragrai134
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096 bytes. Linux has /etc/network/interfaces. Does ANYONE remember the equivalent in Unix? When I do ifconfig eth0 mtu 4000, I get the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

Greetings, I'm stuck in a time warp using ancient machines from the prehistoric era that should be rightfully displayed in the Smithsonian. We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
9 Replies

8. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Too much TCP retransmitted and TCP duplicate on server Oracle Solaris 10

I have problem with oracle solaris 10 running on oracle sparc T4-2 server. Os information: 5.10 Generic_150400-03 sun4v sparc sun4v Output from tcpstat.d script TCP bytes: out outRetrans in inDup inUnorder 6833763 7300 98884 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
2 Replies

10. Solaris

WakeOnLan, tcp packet

I'd like to use SPARC Solaris10 to 'wake up' an old PC on same LAN. what is the simplest way of doing it? (preferably without installing new software) thanks. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
14 Replies
PNPBIOS(4)						 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						PNPBIOS(4)

NAME
pnpbios -- support for embedded devices on the motherboard DESCRIPTION
The pnpbios driver enumerates embedded ISA devices on the motherboard whose BIOS supports ``Plug and Play BIOS Specification''. It assigns ISA bus resources (interrupt line, DMA channel, I/O ports, and memory region) to each device and activates it. If it cannot assign necessary resources to a device without causing conflict with other devices in the system, the device will not be acti- vated and will be unavailable to programs. CAVEATS
There is no explicit way to disable individual embedded devices. The pnpbios driver will find all devices reported by the ``Plug and Play (PnP)'' BIOS and try to activate them all. There is no way to explicitly assign particular resource to a device. The resource assignment is fully automatic and there is no provision for manual override. SEE ALSO
pnp(4) STANDARDS
Compaq, Phenix, and Intel, Plug and Play BIOS Specification Version 1.0A, May 5, 1994. Compaq, Phenix, and Intel, Plug and Play BIOS CLARIFICATION Paper for Plug and Play BIOS Specification Version 1.0A, October 6, 1994. HISTORY
The pnpbios driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
The pnpbios driver was written by Mike Smith. BSD
September 20, 2001 BSD