Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity https MITM attack via user page Post 302524914 by GSO on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 05:06:09 AM
Old 05-25-2011
Changed VPN provider from one of the $20 a month ones to $5 a month. The former seemed only to maintain one regional server while the latter has half a dozen or so.

First off it appears computer criminals have to make some adjustments to the new VPN (a change of IP?) - it took approx. 4 hours before the usual hacks started to surface.

It appears not all VPN providers are equal, a lot of old hacks that I haven't had while using the expensive VPN resurfaced - one of those being the browser search box works OK for a while, but for some inexplicable reason switches to defaulting to a French, or German etc. search (the Google SSL search fixes this; note the VPN server does not change when this change happens). The VPN provider thinks this is a Google issue.

However a new phenomena not experienced before - the BBC webpage at one point (not ongoing) seemed to think my IP was an overseas IP[1] while all ip lookups reported my IP as a UK site.
[1] If you are not in the UK the BBC serves ads with its pages (apparently the reason adverts are repeated is to condition your mind - I'm not sure exactly what the BBC's philosophy and rational is here Smilie

I wonder if setting up OpenVPN using e.g., Amazon servers, might be worth the effort. I noted Tor put a stop to hacking completely (changing IP every 15 mins) - while it worked, so I wonder if maybe setting up tor servers using hosting such as Amazon might be worth the effort also (i.e., so the integrity of the tor server could be guaranteed - the cost of Amazon hosting seems about comparable to a reasonable VPN).

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

HTTPS-Home Page issue.

Hi Folks, This might be a very question,but i have not been able to find the solution. While accessing http://16.138.32.128/ in my LAN, i am able to read the index.html placed in DocumentRoot(/var/www/html). However if i tab in https://xx.xx.xx.xx/ ,i am only able to access the default... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
0 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Fedora Man Pages Reported Attack Page?

Is firefox complaining to anyone else that this is a Reported Attack Page!? I have used this site a million times and now it feels like complaining. Fedora Manpages: Home (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help pulling ${VARS} out of a web page user curl

Here is the code I have so far #!/bin/bash INFOF="/tmp/mac.info" curl --silent http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.8-aluminum-17-mid-2009-unibody-specs.html "$INFOF" I want help putting these specs into a vars Standard Ram: value into $VAR1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to switch the user before executing a shell script from web page??

hi, i want to execute a shell script as a different user. the flow is like this. there is a html web page from which i have to call a shell script. web server is apache. to call the shell script from html page, a perl script is required. so the html page calls the perl script and the perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Need suggestion:- Failed HTTPS transfer to https://supportfiles.sun.com/curl

Hi Guys, I have recently started reciving below Error message Failed HTTPS transfer to https://supportfiles.sun.com/curl whenever I run /usr/local/bin/sudo /opt/SUNWexplo/bin/explorer -P -q -v from all Servers. Looks like the SSL certificate as Expired. Whenever I type... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
4 Replies
eurephiadm usercerts(7) 												   eurephiadm usercerts(7)

NAME
eurephiadm-usercerts - Managing user accounts and certificate relations DESCRIPTION
For a user to connect to a eurephia enabled OpenVPN server, a user account must have been created and activated and an SSL certificate available to the user must have been registered. The user account and certificate the user may use must then be linked together, and this linking the eurephiadm usercert command takes care of. It is also this relation which gives you the option to control which network resources the VPN clients may access, by assigning a firewall profile to such user-certificate links. Available modes for the usercerts command are: -A | --add Register a new certificate and user-cert link -D | --delete Delete a certificate and user-cert link -S | --set-fwprofile Sets the firewall access profile for a user-cert link -l | --list List all registered user-cert links -h | --help <mode> Help about a specific mode The list mode will list all registered links between user accounts and certificates. LIST MODE
The list mode will show all registered user-certificate links -S | --sort <sort keys> Define the sorting of the list Valid sort keys are: uid Nummeric User ID certid Nummeric Certificate ID accessprofile Nummeric firewall profile ID registered According to when the user-cert was registered uicid Nummeric user-cert link ID SET FW PROFILE MODE
The set-fwprofile mode will update the firewall access profile for a given user-cert link Options: (both required) -n | --uicid Unique record id of certificate and user account link -a | --accessprofile Firewall profile ID ADD MODE
The add mode will register a new link between a user account and a certificate. -c | --certid Required - Certificate ID -i | --uid Required - User account ID -a | --accessprofile Firewall profile ID to use for this access DELETE MODE
The delete mode will delete a link between a user account and a certificate. -c | --certid Certificate ID -i | --uid User account ID -n | --uicid Unique record id of certificate and user account link -a | --accessprofile Firewall profile ID SEE ALSO
eurephiadm-users(7), eurephiadm-certs(7), eurephiadm-fwprofiles(7) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2008-2010 David Sommerseth <dazo@users.sourceforge.net> David Sommerseth July 2010 eurephiadm usercerts(7)