Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setting alias with echoing embedded $ sign Post 302524808 by Scott on Tuesday 24th of May 2011 03:48:58 PM
Old 05-24-2011
@ AlphaLexman: It's not a variable, it's an alias.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a boot device alias on Sun hardware

I watched this done a long time ago, but cannot find it anywhere. I need to alias the boot device "disk" to /sbus@7,0/QLGC,isp@0,10000/sd@c,0 I think I need to set "use-nvramrc?" to true, and then create an alias within the nvramrc to point disk to the boot disk, but this is the step I cannot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query regarding alias and setting bash as a default script

Hi All, I am setting bash as my working shell in my .profile file. So I have written a line : bash as the list line in my .profile I want to use alias as follows: alias me='who am i' When i log in, as expeced I enter the bash shell but alias doesn't work. Is it because the alias is defined... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VENC22
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echoing

I was just wondering how you would echo out different length variables but still have them all line up. I tried putting tabs between the variables but that didn't work as planned. For example this is in some loop, with different variables in it each time: echo "$1 $2 $3 $4 $5" Appears like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Okema
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Setting an alias in Redhat

Hi Everyone, I am trying to set up alias the only way I now how, buy making entry into .bashrc file. The entry I made is alias ll='ls -lrt' It is not working as I expect. When I enter "alias" at the command line I get the following. $ alias alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Alias setting in Solaris

Hi All, I need some information on 'Alias' setting in SUN SOLARIS.:confused: Q1. I want to know how can i set my alias here. Q2. How to view all set 'ALIAS' for me. (say /home/jdash user) Q3. Can i modify the set 'Alias' for me or for whole environment. Q4. Is Alias setting can be change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdash.ps
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias for a user - Linux ubuntu

Hi i have a user "SYSTEM" i want to set the below command in his .profile for an alias: who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {} i tried as below: alias stop = " who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {}" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joycesolomon
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias setting

I want to set an alias to connect to sqlplus and also run a command while it it logs in. How can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias (quotes, acutes)

Hello, I'd like to have an alias to view some processes sorted: I have:ps -ef | grep pmon | awk -F" " '{ print $8" "$0 }' | sort | cut -d" " -f2- | grep -v "grep pmon" It doesn't work, however, if I put it as alias because on acutes insize awk:alias pmon='ps -ef | grep pmon | awk -F" " '{ print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
4 Replies
ali(1mh)																  ali(1mh)

Name
       ali - list mail aliases

Syntax
       ali [ -alias aliasfile ] [ -help ] [ -[no]list ] [ -[no]normalize ] [ -user useraddr ] [ -nouser ] [ aliases ...  ]

Description
       The  command  searches the specified mail alias files for each of the given aliases.  It creates a list of addresses for those aliases, and
       displays that list on the screen.

Options
       -alias aliasfile
		 Specifies the alias file to be consulted by You can specify more than one alias file, but each  aliasfile  must  be  preceded	by
		 -alias.  In addition to any alias files that you specify, consults the system alias file

You  can  set up an entry in your so that automatically consults an alias file.  To do this, add the Aliasfile entry to your pro-
		 file.	See for more information.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-list
       -nolist	 Prints the addresses on separate lines.  If you do not specify the -list option,  the	addresses  are	separated  by  commas  and
		 printed on as few lines as possible.

-normalize
       -nonormalize
		 Instructs  to try to track down the official hostname of the address.	This can be suppressed by using -nonormalize.  The default
		 is -nonormalize.

-user useraddr
       -nouser	 Displays all the aliases that contain a specific name.  Instead of listing the addresses that each given alias expands to,  lists
		 the  aliases that expand to include each given address.  You must specify the complete user name that you have used in your alias
		 file.

The defaults for this command are:

-alias /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases
	      -nolist
	      -nonormalize
	      -nouser

Examples
       The following example shows how the -user option can be used to list all the aliases containing the address Parker@Venus:
       % ali -user Parker@Venus
       Parker@Venus: Group, Reviewers, Badminton

Profile Components
       Path:	    Location of your Mail directory.
       Aliasfile:   Location of your personal alias file.

Files
       The user profile.

The system alias file.

The system password file.

The system group file.

See Also
       mh-alias(5mh)

ali(1mh)