Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Comparing experience with AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris Post 302524665 by Celtic_Monkey on Tuesday 24th of May 2011 07:11:56 AM
Old 05-24-2011
Wenp,

You dont mention anything about the platforms that this *nix is going to be running on. In my view there are other factors that contribute to the final selection.....

Are you using specific hardware? ..... Some flavours of Unix are more "Portable" than others and would lend themselves to workstation use alot better depending on the hardware / use requiremetns. When you say "varying levels of skill" are your colleagues biased towards a particular flavour - the learning curve from one particular unix to another (while they may be similar) is not always a smooth one.

Is there going to be a cost involvement? I believe HP-UX / AIX are still commercial products and will need to be purchased. Solaris is (legacy) designed for the Sparc family of processors and so will run only on specific hardware (cost?) - while there are open source versions of Solaris now - you have to ask what benefits you gain from using it, rather than going for Linux etc.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to get more experience???

I'm kinda fed up with all the theoretical side of the programming. now i'd love to participate in some project dealing with C network programming under Unix. My question is: is there any online programs or projects where i can really participate? Any other suggestions how to build up practical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solvman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get more experience???

Hi everybody, I'm kinda fed up with all the theoritical part of programming. I wonder if there is any online project or something where i can participate to practice my skills? Any other suggestions how to build up practical side of Unix C programming? Thank you all. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solvman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing AIX and Solaris

Is Solaris still very hardware dependent? As in it is used mostly on SUN workstations and servers? What about IBM's AIX? Does it only work on IBM machines? Which is more popular and are there performance or usage differences? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CapsuleCorpJX
1 Replies

4. Solaris

comparing 2 Solaris servers

hello has anyone built a script that compares 2 Solaris servers? CPU, memory, swap, memory variables in /etc/system, Solaris version Could you please advise on how to make such a comparaison? thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
9 Replies

5. AIX

Looking for AIX Practical Experience

I have been in IT for around 7 years now and have benefited greatly from Open Source as well as free commercial offerings like Vmware Server that allow me to setup virtual environments and get some hands on time with different OS's and software. I am starting a new job in a few weeks which has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercrazy1
5 Replies

6. AIX

Comparing two tar files on AIX

Hello, I have a directory which suddenly got filled up 100% from 70% ; (this is an oracle directory which has application and database in it ORACLE EBS) I do make cold backups, last month when I made cold backup of the directory /oratec the tar zip file was 31GB and this month when i made the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Experience sharing and questions for NIS migration from Solaris 8 to Linux

I'd like to share some experiences and what I found for NIS migration from Solaris 8 NIS to Linux platform. I'm not an expert for both platforms, it's just when I tested both systems and found something really tricky. That might takes a lot of time for you to find the root cause. So, I think I can... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestard
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing time differences between 2 Solaris servers

Good day to all. I'm relatively new in using the Sun Solaris OS. I would like to request your expertise in helping to solve a problem that I have at work. Not sure if this has been asked before but I have tried searching through the internet to no avail. Basically I have 2 sun solaris... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fossil_84
8 Replies
aserver(1M)															       aserver(1M)

NAME
Aserver - start the audio server SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command starts the HP-UX Audio server, which can run on a system with audio hardware. See Audio(5) for information about which systems have audio hardware. The option forces the starting of the Audio server; this option is only needed if the Aserver has problems starting. The Audio Server Before using any audio tools such as the the system or X station must be running two audio server processes, called On a Series 700, the Remote Procedure Call daemon must also be running. Normally, the Aserver processes and start automatically when the system is booted. If problems occur on an ENTRIA or ENVIZEX X station, see the X station owner's manual. On a Series 700 Audio hardware, first check if is running. Type the following: If it is running, you see a line similar to the following. If it is not running, see HP 9000/DCE documentation for information on restarting it. If is running, verify that the Aserver is running. Type: If the Aserver is running you will see lines similar to the following, which indicate the presence of the two Aserver processes: If it is not running, become root and restart it as follows: If it fails to start, reissue the command with the option: Using Audio over the Network From a workstation, you can also use the Audio Editor and Control Panel over the network. However, the remote system is where the actual playback and recording occur. The local workstation (or audio client) can be any Series 700 system. The remote system (or audio server) can be a Series 700 or an X sta- tion with audio hardware and must have the Aserver processes running. If the server is a workstation, it must also allow access from remote clients (see asecure(1M)) and must have running. To make the system an audio client, set the variable by modifying the file as follows: Korn and POSIX Shells: C Shell: For system_name, identify the workstation or X Station running the Aserver. If the variable is not set, the Audio Library attempts to use to the Aserver on the system defined by the variable. If neither nor is set, the Aserver on the local machine is used. DEPENDENCIES
The Audio Server must run on a system that has audio hardware. Note that HP-UX for the 8MB 705 System does not include audio software. AUTHOR
The Audio Server was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
audio(5), asecure(1M), attributes(1), convert(1), send_sound(1). aserver(1M)