Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Desktop System with no built in video card on linux Post 302524465 by jao_madn on Monday 23rd of May 2011 11:43:43 AM
Old 05-23-2011
Desktop System with no built in video card on linux

hi

I would like to ask some of the expert advice on my propose project. I going to assemble a high end desktop system before i quit my job. I had a laptop with linux and win7 pro for just incase bored and need some spare time gaming with nice graphics. My plan is to assemble a i7 processor model with no built in video card motherboard and a high end video card just incase for some high resolution gaming or application. My concern is if i buy a motherboard with no built in video card and run my favorite linux distro with the high end video card that doesn't support linux or worst no video driver compatible or working. Just ans example in my my laptop i had a nvidia optimus tech and cuda video card. I understand the my video card in my laptop is a waste since my linux distro doesn't work even with the latest driver of linux nvidia so end up using the built in intel graphics right.

Question:
1. If happen i buy a motherboard with high end video card or latest video card that doesn't support linux or linux driver doesn't work. how do i used my desktop with linux since it doesn't have a built in video display card. Should i end up buying cheap motherboard and video card. i just want to buy high end to prepare the future used since i dont know if i will have an income.
2. Im accustomed to dual monitor my laptop has a pair of monitor for reading manuals while doing other stuff in the other so i much concern in the display. Any features in the video card or motherboard that i must know to best accomplished my dual scrren or maybe triple monitor
3. If it works with the latest video card. As i check in my local retailer the video card has common three ports ( HDMI, DVI, VGA ) im looking forward for buying this type of card. Does this three ports can be used simultaneously pluging three monitor and display three continues desktop.

Im looking forward for the three monitor since monitor now are more cheap as uses for three monitor. monitor 1 for PDF manual reading 2 while reading pdf manual doing it live in the second monitor and 3 for internet googling for terms that dont undertand

My distro is ubuntu

Thanks for any reply possible.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X Server on AIX w/o video card

Hi there, I'm a newbie so please be patient. I wanted to know if it was possible to run X server on a box w/o a video card. The reason I want to do this is I'd like to have a CDE session from sun workstation into the AIX box. Please let me know if this is feasible. Thanks for your time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blah00000
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Video Card

My Ultra -2 Sun Monitor went blank one day ... I tried using our monitor on another Sun , It worked fine . So the problem would be with the video card .. The thing is i have an Old Ultra 1 which has not been used for some time . I hooked that up to see the monitor works with that ..it works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with video card.

http://adsl.027game.com/uploadImages/200211122321064403.jpg Help, please!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Video Card for Lin/Unix

I am wondering if a ATI Mobile Radeon 9600 PROTURBO will work with a any version of linux or Unix (NetBSD 1.6.2, FreeBSD). (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mentor6
0 Replies

5. Solaris

video card for a V440

I am looking into getting some cards for the SunFire V440. Not sure how most folks go about this but I am assuming we can find compatible cards for this server platform without going through SUN. Do you guys recommend getting this video card from SUN? Yeah we got these servers without the video... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
5 Replies

6. Programming

Extracting video card properties

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a way to extract the video card properties (Name, Driver version, amount of vram). I've managed to deal with nVidia cards, but nothing came for ATI/AMD cards and other kind of chipsets. Can someone point a way to do this? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JB007ROLV
4 Replies

7. Hardware

I need an AGP video card that works with Linux as well as Windows 7

My MB has 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP 8x slot. Does anybody know of an AGP 8x video card with a DVI or HDMI output that will work for Fedora 13 as well as Windows 7? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EdN
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Very new to Solaris and Sun, need help please (video card)

Hello all, I am trying to learn about Solaris and Sun systems so I purchased a SunFire 280r running Solaris 9 with a disk array from eBay. The system had no video card so I purchased a PGX32 card for the PCI slot and installed it. The problem is I have no video what so ever. I am familiar... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FTBTX
3 Replies

9. Programming

Video Tutorial of Linux System Programming with C

Video tutorial of Linux System Programming with C. YouTube - Linux System Programming with C by Indronil Banerjee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vectrum
1 Replies
VGA(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VGA(4)

NAME
vga -- generic video card interface SYNOPSIS
options VESA options VESA_DEBUG=N options VGA_ALT_SEQACCESS options VGA_NO_FONT_LOADING options VGA_NO_MODE_CHANGE options VGA_SLOW_IOACCESS options VGA_WIDTH90 device vga In /boot/device.hints: hint.vga.0.at="isa" DESCRIPTION
The vga driver is a generic video card driver which provides access to video cards. This driver is required for the console driver syscons(4). The console driver will call the vga driver to manipulate video hardware (changing video modes, loading font, etc). The vga driver supports the standard video cards: MDA, CGA, EGA and VGA. In addition, the driver can utilize VESA BIOS extensions if the video card supports them. VESA support can either be statically included in the kernel or can be loaded as a separate module. In order to statically link the VESA support to the kernel, the VESA option (see below) must be defined in the kernel configuration file. The vesa module can be dynamically loaded into the kernel using kldload(8). DRIVER CONFIGURATION
Kernel Configuration Options The following kernel configuration options (see config(8)) can be used to control the vga driver. These options provide compatibility with certain VGA cards. VGA_ALT_SEQACCESS You may want to try this option if the mouse pointer is not drawn correctly or the font does not seem to be loaded properly on the VGA card. However, it may cause flicker on some systems. VGA_SLOW_IOACCESS Older VGA cards may require this option for proper operation. It makes the driver perform byte-wide I/O to VGA registers and slow down a little. VGA_WIDTH90 This option enables 90 column modes: 90x25, 90x30, 90x43, 90x50, 90x60. These modes are not always supported by the video card and the display. It is highly likely that LCD display cannot work with these modes. The following options add optional features to the driver. VESA Add VESA BIOS support to the driver. If the VGA card has the VESA BIOS extension 1.2 or later, this option will utilize the VESA BIOS service to switch to high resolution modes. VESA_DEBUG=N Set the VESA support debug level to N. The default value is zero, which suppresses all debugging output. The following options will remove some features from the vga driver and save kernel memory. VGA_NO_FONT_LOADING The vga driver can load software font to EGA and VGA cards. This option removes this feature. Note that if you use this option and still wish to use the mouse on the console then you must also use the SC_ALT_MOUSE_IMAGE option. See syscons(4). VGA_NO_MODE_CHANGE This option prevents the driver from changing video modes. EXAMPLES
Your kernel configuration should normally have: device vga And you need the following line in /boot/device.hints. hint.vga.0.at="isa" The following lines should be included in the kernel configuration file in order to enable the VESA BIOS Extension support. options VESA device vga If you do not want VESA support included in the kernel, but want to use occasionally, do not add the VESA option. And load the vesa module as desired: kldload vesa SEE ALSO
vgl(3), syscons(4), config(8), kldload(8), kldunload(8) STANDARDS
Video Electronics Standards Association, VESA BIOS Extension (VBE). HISTORY
The vga driver first appeared in FreeBSD 3.1. AUTHORS
The vga driver was written by Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org> and Kazutaka Yokota <yokota@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Kazutaka Yokota. BSD
June 30, 1999 BSD