Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo switches
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo switches Post 302524358 by ajaincv on Monday 23rd of May 2011 06:51:59 AM
Old 05-23-2011
echo switches

Hello All,

I am writing an shell script but abruptly its not able to recognize switches in echo statement.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

top -n 1 -b>ankit

host=`hostname`

time=`cat ankit|grep load|tr -s " "|cut -d " " -f3`

load=`cat ankit|grep load|tr -s " "|cut -d "," -f4|cut -d ":" -f2`

mem=`cat ankit|grep Mem`

swp=`cat ankit|grep Swap`

echo "Machine Name: $host">>mcs

echo "Time when snapshot taken $time">>mcs

echo "\n\n current Load Average of the system is$load">>mcs

echo "\t\t Memory Utiliztion on the server">>mcs

echo

cat mcs|mail -s "Top Usage Report" b36376@freescale.com

output

#########
Code:
Machine Name: zin33cde01
  Time when snapshot taken 16:18:45
  current Load Average of the system is 5.45 \t\t Memory Utiliztion on the server

###########

like in the above output ist not parsing \t\t for tabing.

Regards

Ankit
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

Last edited by vgersh99; 05-23-2011 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar switches!!!

Hi, If i want to write my data on several tapes, (more than one tape), what switch(s) i need to use with tar. In other word if my data needs the sapce more than one tape & i don't wanna to compress or ... my data. so is it possible to write up to the end of the tape & it asks to put another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xterm switches to make fonts larger

Dear Sirs I posted this question to "Unix for dummies" but got no answers, so I'm asking help from this group. Whenever I bring up an xterm window on my laptop running Mandrivia Linux, the font in the xterm window is so small that it is practically unreadable ! What switches do I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanejm
1 Replies

3. Programming

Signal Handling and Context Switches

Hi guys, this is my first posting, so at first hi to everyone! ;) I have a problem with ucontext_t in connection with signal handling. I want to simulate a preemptive scheduler. I am using the iTimer with ITIMER_PROF, to schedule the interrupts. You find the code below: #include <stdio.h>... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: XComp
18 Replies

4. IP Networking

LACP aggregation on separates switches

Hello, I'm working on LACP architecture. I would like to know if it's possible to aggregate two links on two separate switches. Here an example I want : Aggregation of link1 and link2 to obtain a logical 2 gbit/s link. Also have redundancy, if one of them is down, the traffic goes through the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbemonet
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collect information from switches

Hi All , In my environment we have 12 SAN switches .Culd u pls help me for below queries . would like to telnet to all switches and collect information in daily basis with "switchstatus" command and store the output under /tmp/ folder on systemA . To keep passwords of 12switches in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinni-script
1 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios monitoring for switches.

Hi, I have configured check_snmp plugin and using the plugin i am able to monitor the uptime of the switch. But the following fails # /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H 10.10.10.1 -C ready -o ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB SNMP CRITICAL - *down(2)* | # Any suggestions ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple commandline switches

I have a script that has commandline switches that work no problem. But i don't know how to enable it to have multiple switches at one time. So I'd want myscript -h -o or even myscript -ho but i'm having no luck incorporating this. I tried shifting but i'm not getting it. Thanks ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding when a file switches direction using awk

Hi guys I have a file that is filled with x,y values: 0.000000 0.00129578 0.000191 0.00272187 0.000381 0.0125676 0.000572 0.0120014 0.000763 0.00203461 0.000954 0.00682248 0.001144 0.00202773 0.001335 0.000840523 0.001526 0.00451419 ....5MB of that I wanted to know if there is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bflinchum
7 Replies

9. AIX

LACP between AIX 7.1 and HP procurve switches

Hi. On a standalone AIX server, 7.1 version, I have 3 connected gigabit ethernet ports. I made an etherchannel like this : # lsattr -El ent4 adapter_names ent1,ent2 | EtherChannel Adapters True alt_addr 0x000000000000 | Alternate EtherChannel Address True auto_recovery yes | Enable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stephnane
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Strings in as options to switches

I have a script using getops with -a -t -l as potential switches, based on the switches used, it will set the respective variable value which will cause the routine/function to run. I need to also pass a string with the switch that will get parsed by the function. example ./myscript -a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)