Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Opinion on auto-restart of failed apps/services Post 302524266 by methyl on Sunday 22nd of May 2011 08:21:25 PM
Old 05-22-2011
The hard bit can be detecting that the application has failed. Just relying on the output from a single "ps" command is not safe because a busy system may give a blank or incomplete response to a "ps" command.

To paraphrase Corona688 there is no harm in installing a workaround while you find and repair the root cause ... or determine that the root cause cannot be repaired.

If for example you have a client-server application running on an unreliable network (like the Internet) there is a good case to configure a client retry mechanism backed with a carefully-designed automatic client restart combined with a matching dead-session cleanup in the server.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto Detection/Restart of Sybase Deadlocks

Does anyone have an example of a ksh script that executes a Sybase stored procedure, via the ISQL command, and can detect a deadlock and loop until the process completes successfully? I'm a little confused on where to start. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
0 Replies

2. Linux

file location for GNOME auto startup apps

I know how to add an apps to auto-start in GUI, but I'd like to know how to do it mannualy. So where is the file saved to by GUI ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: honglus
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Script to auto restart a service

Hi All, May i please know if it is possible to write a script to check the log messages and automatically restart a service if it is failed or it is stopped. Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance. regards, Eajaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajazshariff
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto restart script does not work

I have a service that are not 100% stable and stops from time to time. So I have a script that do restart the service if it does not run. This script works win on Ubuntu 9.04 but will not start the service in Ubuntu 10.10 If I run the part that do starts the service from CLI, it starts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
2 Replies

5. AIX

problem to restart services from /etc/inittab in AIX6.1

hello, i have an AIX6.1.7.2 machine that it was upgraded recently from AIX5.3.9.4. when i kill system services that should restart automatically like /usr/sbin/cron it doesnt start. i checked my /etc/inittab file and i confirmed that this service is in respawn status so when i kill this process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to restart the services

Hi Guys, I need bash script to restart the service. 1. Disable the service called SASM svcadm disable sasm 2. if service went to maintenance mode then it shuld clear it with below command svcadm clear sasm 3.or else it should restart the mysql service /etc/init.d/mysql stop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bapu1981
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to auto restart java for 100 percent

I want the tomcat to restart when java goes 100% cpu utilize and remain on this , Get pid kill and start tomcat . top | grep java We can get pid and cpu utilize , But how can we do on run time. Please use code tags as required by forum rules! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
1 Replies

9. Debian

How do i correct restart network-services in Debian?

Hello, I would like to do follow steps. Set a static IP-Adress on eth0 (For Testing) Set DHCP on eth0 All steps should be done without a single reboot. /etc/network/interfaces iface eth0 inet static address 192.0.2.7/24 gateway 192.0.2.254How do i perform... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
3 Replies
sasl_client_start(3)						  SASL man pages					      sasl_client_start(3)

NAME
sasl_client_start - Begin an authentication negotiation SYNOPSIS
#include <sasl/sasl.h> int sasl_client_start(sasl_conn_t * conn, const char * mechlist, sasl_interact_t ** prompt_need, const char ** clientout, unsigned * clientoutlen, const char ** mech); DESCRIPTION
sasl_client_start() selects a mechanism for authentication and starts the authentication session. The mechlist is the list of mechanisms the client might like to use. The mechanisms in the list are not necessarily supported by the client or even valid. SASL determines which of these to use based upon the security preferences specified earlier. The list of mechanisms is typically a list of mechanisms the server supports acquired from a capability request. If SASL_INTERACT is returned the library needs some values to be filled in before it can proceed. The prompt_need structure will be filled in with requests. The application should fulfill these requests and call sasl_client_start again with identical parameters (the prompt_need parameter will be the same pointer as before but filled in by the application). mechlist is a list of mechanisms the server has available. Punctuation is ignored. prompt_need is filled in with a list of prompts needed to continue (if necessary). clientout and clientoutlen is created. It is the initial client response to send to the server. It is the job of the client to send it over the network to the server. Any protocol specific encoding (such as base64 encoding) necessary needs to be done by the client. If the protocol lacks client-send-first capability, then set clientout to NULL. If there is no initial client-send, then *clientout will be set to NULL on return. mech contains the name of the chosen SASL mechanism (on success) RETURN VALUE
sasl_client_start returns an integer which corresponds to one of the following codes. SASL_CONTINUE indicates success and that there are more steps needed in the authentication. All other return codes indicate errors and should either be handled or the authentication session should be quit. CONFORMING TO
RFC 4422 SEE ALSO
sasl(3), sasl_callbacks(3), sasl_errors(3), sasl_client_init(3), sasl_client_new(3), sasl_client_step(3) SASL
10 July 2001 sasl_client_start(3)