Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove extra character
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove extra character Post 302524198 by cnrj on Sunday 22nd of May 2011 07:38:42 AM
Old 05-22-2011
Remove extra character

Hi

I am using cat <filename> command in one of my datastage job(Command Activity). It is giving actual value but giving extra line.

Eg: Displayed Output: 1 and showing extraline(Eg: 1
) I had checked even wc -c it is giving one character extra.

If the file contains 11. wc -c says 3.

This input file is being created by echo <Parameter> > Filename. in one of my datastge job.

Can anybody advise how to read exact value.
Input file may vary in length depends on the parameter value.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL cgi script... extra character driving me crazy

I'm using a PERL cgi script that uses rrdtool to make graphs. I can't get the syntax correct to use a degree sign (alt+0176 like this °) and also using a variable. If I use single quotes, I can't call the variable. If I use double quotes, there is an extra symbol (Â) before the ° which goes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a special character $ in place of extra spaces

Hi Experts, I have called some.txt with the following content. oracle HYRDSRVIHUB01 pts/0 TESTIHUB 07-JUN-10 CREATE TABLE TESTIHUB PHONE ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort file adding extra character

HI all i have this script : #!/bin/bash sort /usr/tmp/"REPORT"$1 -o \ /usr/tmp/"SREPORT"$1 -k 1,7 -S 150 end of script now i'm doing this command : ls -lsgt *REPORT* 4 -rw-r--r-- 300 Sep 16 REPORT54784 4 -rw-r--r-- 301 Sep 16 SREPORT54784 as you can see the sorted file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete extra character in a line?

And I want to delete the characters longer than 20 for each line start with #. The other lines should remain the same. I think this can be done by sed. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks! my input file: #ZP_05494889.1_Clostridium_papyrosolvens... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritacc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extra character with iconv encoding

hey, I am trying to convert a sample russian encoding file to English encoding using iconv utility. Its almost done but with each converted character i am getting one extra character which must not come. my sample Russian text is test.txt А Б В Г Д Е Ж З И Й К ~ and script which i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyushgehlot
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk while-loop printing extra character

Hi, I'm using a while-loop in an awk script. If it matches a regular expression, it prints a line. Unfortunately, each line that is printed in this loop is followed by an extra character, "1". While-statement extracted from my script: getline temp; while (temp ~ /.* x .*/) print temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redbluefish
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to remove extra characters

Guys, I have a file that contains entries like this: LaxOrdID=19220288<8> LaxOrdID=19220288 I would like to remove <> and the values inside it anywhere its found. How? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove Extra Delimiter

Hi , I have file like this.. aaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|fff|dsaaFFDFD| Adsads|sas|sa|as|asa|saddas|dsasd|sdad| dsas|dss|sss|sss|ddd|dssd|rrr|fddf| www|fff|refd|dads|fsdf|00sd| 5fgdg|dfs00|d55f|sfds55|445fsd|55ds|sdf| so I do no have any fix pattern and I want to remove extra... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajchaudhari
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing extra character from end

Hi, Searching through forum I found "sed 's/*$//'" can be used to remove trailing whitespaces and tabs from file. The command works fine but I see minor issue as below. Can you please suggest if I am doing something wrong here. $ cat a.txt upg_prod_test upg_prod_new $ cat a.txt |sed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Removing extra character when setting variable

I have a data file d0 that looks like this: $cat d0 server1 running -n-cv- 8G 3.1% 1435d 15h server2 running -n---- 8G 39% 660d 22h server3 running -n--v- 8G 2.5% 1173d 6h server4 running -n---- 8G 1.1% 1048d 20h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake0391S
2 Replies
MacroCmd(3U)						    InterViews Reference Manual 					      MacroCmd(3U)

NAME
MacroCmd - a command that composes other commands SYNOPSIS
#include <Unidraw/Commands/macro.h> DESCRIPTION
MacroCmd composes other commands in a linear fashion. Executing a MacroCmd is equivalent to executing its children in preorder. PUBLIC OPERATIONS
MacroCmd(ControlInfo*) MacroCmd( Editor* = nil, Command* first = nil, Command* second = nil, Command* third = nil, Command* fourth = nil ) Construct a MacroCmd instance, optionally supplying up to four of its child commands. virtual void Execute() virtual void Unexecute() virtual boolean Reversible() Execute simply executes each child, from first to last. Unexecute calls Unexecute on each child, from last to first. The MacroCmd is reversible if any of its children are. virtual void SetEditor(Editor*) SetEditor calls SetEditor on each child with the given argument. Command* GetCommand(Iterator) void SetCommand(Command*, Iterator&) GetCommand returns the child Command to which an iterator points. SetCommand initializes the iterator to point to a particular child Command; it initializes the iterator to point to a nil instance if the given Command is not a child. void Append( Command*, Command* = nil, Command* = nil, Command* = nil ) void Prepend( Command*, Command* = nil, Command* = nil, Command* = nil ) void InsertAfter(Iterator, Command*) void InsertBefore(Iterator, Command*) void Remove(Command*) void Remove(Iterator&) Operations that modify the MacroCmd's list of children. Append and Prepend add up to four Commands to the end and the beginning of the list, respectively. InsertAfter and InsertBefore insert a Command after and before the Command pointed to by the iterator, respectively. The Remove operations remove a child from the list without deleting it. You can remove a child by referring to it explicitly or by specifying an iterator. If an iterator is supplied, the Remove operation should advance it to point to the follow- ing child as a side effect. PROTECTED OPERATIONS
Command* Cmd(UList*) UList* Elem(Iterator) Convenience functions for extracting a Command from a UList element a UList from an iterator, respectively. SEE ALSO
Command(3U), Iterator(3U), UList(3U) Unidraw 24 January 1991 MacroCmd(3U)