Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl verify if numbers in a column of a file are in sequence Post 302524191 by mirni on Sunday 22nd of May 2011 07:07:32 AM
Old 05-22-2011
Got gawk?
Code:
awk '
(strtonum("0x"$1)!=strtonum("0x"last)+1){         #discontinuity encountered
  if(last)                                        #don't print if last undefined
    printf("%s:%s, ",beg,last); 
  beg=$1                                          #remember the beginning of sequence
}
{
  last=$1; 
}
END{
  printf("%s:%s\n",beg,last) #print the last range
}' hexData.txt | sed 's/\(\w\w*\):\1/\1/g'

The sed command replaces
ranges for 1 number, e.g. '2DB0:2DB0' with '2DB0'

---------- Post updated at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:55 AM ----------

Same thing in perl:
Code:
perl -ane '
  if(hex($F[0]) ne hex($last)+1) {
    printf("%s:%s, ",$beg,$last) unless !defined $last;
    $beg=$F[0];
  } 
  $last=$F[0];
END{
  printf("%s:%s\n",$beg,$last);
}' hexData.txt | sed 's/\(\w\w*\):\1/\1/g'

This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i isolate the random sequence of numbers using awk?

as you can see there is a delimiter after c8 "::". Awk sees the rest as fields because it doesn't recognize spaces and tabs as delimiters. So i am basically looking to isolate 20030003ba13f6cc. Can anyone help? c8::20030003ba13f6cc disk connected configured unknown (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcon1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating sequence numbers in unix

Hi, Is there a way to create sequence numbers in unix i have a set of batches(which contain records) and i want to assign a number to every batch. how can i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dnat
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find the gap in the sequence of numbers

Hi Guys, I have a file with numbers in sequence. The sequence have been broken somewhere.. I need to find out at which number the sequence has been broken... For an example, consider this sequence, it needs to give me output as 4 (as 5 is missing) and 6(as 7 is missing) Thanks for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a sequence number column inside a pipe delimited csv file using shell scripting?

Hi All, I need a shell script which could insert a sequence number column inside a dat file(pipe delimited). I have the dat file similar to the one as shown below.. |A|B|C||D|E |F|G|H||I|J |K|L|M||N|O |P|Q|R||S|T As shown above, the column 4 is currently blank and i need to insert sequence... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

program to find and print a Fibonacci sequence of numbers. --Errors

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to convert a C language program over to Sparc Assembley and I am getting Undefined first referenced... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenjiro310
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a column to a text file with row numbers

Hi, I would like to add a new column containing the row numbers to a text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Example input: A X B Y C D Output: A X 1 B Y 2 C D 3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hope to create a file with two large column, with several numbers

I hope to create a file made up of 2 columns - first column print out number 0~61000 every 50 of it - second column just contains 0 delineated by space such as 0 0 50 0 100 0 150 0 200 0 ... 60900 0 60950 0 61000 0 Which command should I need to use? I think I might need to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: exsonic
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate sequence of numbers

I need awk script to generate part number sequencing based on data in multiple columns like below Input File --------- Col A|Col B|Col C| 1|a|x| 2|b|y| |c|z| | |m| | |n| And out put should be like 1ax 1ay 1az 1am 1an 1bx 1by (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aramacha
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a sequence of numbers in a line for 1000 files

Hi, I try to explain my problem , I have a file like this: aasdsaffsc23 scdsfsddvf46567 mionome0001.pdb asdsdvcxvds dsfdvcvc2324w What I need to do is to create 1000 files in which myname line listing a sequence of numbers from 0001 to 1000. So I want to have : nomefile0001.txt that must... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: danyz84
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk to replace numbers in a file with a column from another file

Hello, I am trying to make a awk code that will take 2 files, a txt file like this : 1 1 88 c(1:38, 42, 102) 2 2 128 c(39:41, 43:101, 103:105, 153, 155:189, 292, 344:369) 3 3 84 c(190:249, 603, 606:607, 609:629) 4 4 12 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nastaziales
8 Replies
HTML::FormatText(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       HTML::FormatText(3)

NAME
HTML::FormatText - Format HTML as plaintext SYNOPSIS
require HTML::TreeBuilder; $tree = HTML::TreeBuilder->new->parse_file("test.html"); require HTML::FormatText; $formatter = HTML::FormatText->new(leftmargin => 0, rightmargin => 50); print $formatter->format($tree); DESCRIPTION
The HTML::FormatText is a formatter that outputs plain latin1 text. All character attributes (bold/italic/underline) are ignored. Formatting of HTML tables and forms is not implemented. You might specify the following parameters when constructing the formatter: leftmargin (alias lm) The column of the left margin. The default is 3. rightmargin (alias rm) The column of the right margin. The default is 72. SEE ALSO
HTML::Formatter COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-2002 Gisle Aas, and 2002- Sean M. Burke. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. AUTHOR
Current maintainer: Sean M. Burke <sburke@cpan.org> Original author: Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.12.1 2004-06-02 HTML::FormatText(3)