Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: clear swap slice
Operating Systems Solaris clear swap slice Post 302524142 by orange47 on Saturday 21st of May 2011 07:18:07 PM
Old 05-21-2011
clear swap slice

is there a command that would zero swap slice? I found these instructions:
Quote:
.As for swap, it skips a few blocks at the beginning, so as not to clobber a label
$ swap -l
swapfile dev swaplo blocks free
/dev/md/dsk/d1 85,1 16 10461104 10461104

Remember that if you ever decide to wipe swap to clean up a machine; something like
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s1

(and bs=whatever, etc) is _not_ a good idea; you need an oseek= or somesuch to skip from the start of the slice to swaplo, or you may clobber your disk label.
but hoping there is some swap-specific command

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run fsck on swap slice?

Hi.. i am using sun solaris...and this is the filesystem information... you can see th slice(swap) c0t0d0s1 is giving some absord information......and during rebooting it is asking to run fsck mnually..when i run fsck manually it is giving error incorrect starting and end header...smthing like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

New Sds Slice

Hi, I'd like to add two new disk (mirrored each other) in a machine still on line. The machine is mirrored with SDS. the idea is to add two new disk and mirroring them in order to add a new mount point like "/produit" with only half of the new disk. who could send me exemples or tell me how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guillaume35
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add SWAP to free slice

I'm interested in adding more swap space to my current workstation (Solaris 10). I currently have 2 hard drives installed, however the system was only created with 512MB for swap that resides on drive 1. This drive is already sliced up and all slices are being used. The second drive has two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
3 Replies

4. Solaris

mirroring the boot slice (slice 8) on x86

Hi there I am about to mirror a Solaris 10 x86 box (SunFire X4100) onto a secondary disk using svm (current system is one disk). My question is this, on X86 boxes there is a slice 8 defined as boot partition (and also a slice 9, dunno what its used for tho). Do I need to mirror this boot slice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. Linux

Expanding slice

Hi all I am testing backupPC as a backup solution for machines, as far as i knew, backuppc cannot combine more than storage from different slices so it have to be in one slice my question is, what is the easy way to offer a virtual logical drive expanded/expandable to backuppc, i mean i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

8. Solaris

What is the speciality of slice 2?

Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 259 - 2666 4.70GB (2408/0/0) 9863168 1 swap wu 3 - 258 512.00MB (256/0/0) 1048576 2 backup wm 0 - 4091 7.99GB (4092/0/0) 16760832 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Possible to increase swap size for existing UFS-based drive slice?

I like to increase swap size for my current server running solaris 10. Seems like the system is not using it's full 16G of physical memory. #swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 32,1 16 1058288 1058288 # swap -s total: 4125120k bytes... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: JT-KGY
17 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
swap(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  swap(1M)

NAME
swap - swap administrative interface SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/swap -a swapname [swaplow] [swaplen] /usr/sbin/swap -d swapname [swaplow] /usr/sbin/swap -l /usr/sbin/swap -s DESCRIPTION
The swap utility provides a method of adding, deleting, and monitoring the system swap areas used by the memory manager. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a swapname Add the specified swap area. This option can only be used by the super-user. swapname is the name of the swap file: for example, /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 or a regular file. swaplow is the offset in 512-byte blocks into the file where the swap area should begin. swaplen is the desired length of the swap area in 512-byte blocks. The value of swaplen can not be less than 16. For example, if n blocks are specified, then (n-1) blocks would be the actual swap length. swaplen must be at least one page in length. The size of a page of memory can be determined by using the pagesize command. See pagesize(1). Since the first page of a swap file is automatically skipped, and a swap file needs to be at least one page in length, the minimum size should be a multiple of 2 pagesize bytes. The size of a page of memory is machine dependent. swaplow + swaplen must be less than or equal to the size of the swap file. If swaplen is not specified, an area will be added starting at swaplow and extending to the end of the designated file. If neither swaplow nor swaplen are specified, the whole file will be used except for the first page. Swap areas are normally added automatically during system startup by the /sbin/swapadd script. This script adds all swap areas which have been specified in the /etc/vfstab file; for the syntax of these specifications, see vfstab(4). To use an NFS or local file-system swapname, you should first create a file using mkfile(1M). A local file-system swap file can now be added to the running system by just running the swap -a command. For NFS mounted swap files, the server needs to export the file. Do this by performing the following steps: 1. Add the following line to /etc/dfs/dfstab: share -F nfs -o rw=clientname,root=clientname path-to-swap-file 2. Run shareall(1M). 3. Have the client add the following line to /etc/vfstab: server:path-to-swap-file - local-path-to-swap-filenfs --- local-path-to-swap-file -- swap --- 4. Have the client run mount: # mount local-path-to-swap-file 5. The client can then run swap -a to add the swap space: # swap -a local-path-to-swap-file -d swapname Delete the specified swap area. This option can only be used by the super-user. swapname is the name of the swap file: for example, /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 or a regular file. swaplow is the offset in 512-byte blocks into the swap area to be deleted. If swaplow is not specified, the area will be deleted starting at the second page. When the command completes, swap blocks can no longer be allocated from this area and all swap blocks previously in use in this swap area have been moved to other swap areas. -l List the status of all the swap areas. The output has five columns: path The path name for the swap area. dev The major/minor device number in decimal if it is a block special device; zeroes otherwise. swaplo The swaplow value for the area in 512-byte blocks. blocks The swaplen value for the area in 512-byte blocks. free The number of 512-byte blocks in this area that are not currently allocated. The list does not include swap space in the form of physical memory because this space is not associated with a particular swap area. If swap -l is run while swapname is in the process of being deleted (by swap -d), the string INDEL will appear in a sixth column of the swap stats. -s Print summary information about total swap space usage and availability: allocated The total amount of swap space in bytes currently allocated for use as backing store. reserved The total amount of swap space in bytes not currently allocated, but claimed by memory mappings for possi- ble future use. used The total amount of swap space in bytes that is either allocated or reserved. available The total swap space in bytes that is currently available for future reservation and allocation. These numbers include swap space from all configured swap areas as listed by the -l option, as well swap space in the form of physical memory. USAGE
On the 32-bit operating system, only the first 2 Gbytes -1 are used for swap devices greater than or equal to 2 Gbytes in size. On the 64-bit operating system, a block device larger than 2 Gbytes can be fully utilized for swap up to 2**63 -1 bytes. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of swap: LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGE. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pagesize(1), mkfile(1M), shareall(1M), getpagesize(3C), vfstab(4), attributes(5), largefile(5) WARNINGS
No check is done to determine if a swap area being added overlaps with an existing file system. SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2004 swap(1M)