Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut Command error cut: Bad range Post 302524124 by dgmm on Saturday 21st of May 2011 05:26:42 PM
Old 05-21-2011
Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi
Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command.
Code:
for f in *.log
  do
    logfilename=$f
    Log "Log file Name: $logfilename"
    logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log`
    flength=${#logfile1}
    Log "file length $flength"
    from_length=$(($flength - 15))
    Log "from length $from_length"
    logfile_date=`echo $logfile1 | cut -c ${from_length}-8`
    Log "Logfile date with stringlength $logfile_date"
done

Getting error in cut command for a file as
INT_put_daily_stock_tax_to_ML_20110520_002258
I want use cut command.

The error is showing
Code:
+ + echo INT_put_daily_stock_tax_to_ML_20110520_002258 
+ cut -c 30-8 
cut: Bad range "30-8" in list

Don't know what is wrong when used cut command.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
MB_STRCUT(3)								 1							      MB_STRCUT(3)

mb_strcut - Get part of string

SYNOPSIS
string mb_strcut (string $str, int $start, [int $length = NULL], [string $encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
mb_strcut(3) extracts a substring from a string similarly to mb_substr(3), but operates on bytes instead of characters. If the cut position happens to be between two bytes of a multi-byte character, the cut is performed starting from the first byte of that character. This is also the difference to the substr(3) function, which would simply cut the string between the bytes and thus result in a malformed byte sequence. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string being cut. o $start - Starting position in bytes. o $length - Length in bytes. If omitted or NULL is passed, extract all bytes to the end of the string. o $encoding -The $encoding parameter is the character encoding. If it is omitted, the internal character encoding value will be used. RETURN VALUES
mb_strcut(3) returns the portion of $str specified by the $start and $length parameters. SEE ALSO
mb_substr(3), mb_internal_encoding(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_STRCUT(3)