Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: General compression question
Operating Systems Linux General compression question Post 302524042 by Perderabo on Friday 20th of May 2011 09:08:49 PM
Old 05-20-2011
Data compression requires a lot of CPU power. To compress several hundred files simultaneously you're simply going to need a lot of horsepower. Something like a 16 core server with 64 GB of memory is probably the minimum configuration for this task. bzip2 is best compression program I know. There are a few alternatives but they are not as good. But there no magic software that can compress hundreds of 4 GB files on a workstation in a twinkling of an eye.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

General Proxy Question

Firstly I must apologise; I have posted something similar in the "general UNIX newbies" forum; but in reterospect I think that it's more appropriate here. Anyhoo; I am trying to detect whether people accessing one of my servers are coming via a proxied connection. I must add that this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Proxy Question

This is quite a general question: I am trying to detect whether people accessing my network are using a proxy server. This is *not* to ensure that web pages are not cached! The only way that I can think of doing this is to intercept at packet level and examine the source port for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Question

Hi, I've been racking my brains trying to remember, but, whats the command to change the default shell? I'm currently always in the Korn shell and I want to start out in the Bash shell. I'm running a variant of BSD I guess in Mac OS X 10.2.2 and Mandrake. Thanks. ccindyderek:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccindyderek
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

general question?

Perl, Python, and PHP are these languages easy to use? Are they command line or are they part of a GUI? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

general question on executing file in drwx--x--x directory

suppose: nevermind, i figured it out, haha... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cul8erppl
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executable directory general question

This may be a dumb question (but this is the UNIX for Dummies Q&A forum :) But I'm wondering, what is the purpose of a directory being given execute permissions? I can't execute a directory, only files, right? If I make a directory executable, the files inside still won't execute unless I give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Programming Question

Experience level : New to programming in Linux. Forgive my noobiness in this context with regards to programming, language or grammar. Some Background info : I have seen a lot of programs which I use (Modo and Maya especially) which can use a command line to run the different parts of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snd321
2 Replies

8. Solaris

General question about configuring DHCP on Solaris

Dears, my question is that possible to configure any server to work in solaris zone i mean any server cos i read that DHCP can't be work on solaris zone is that real or not Best Regards Alexander Corvinus (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: corvinusbsd
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General question about folder level permissions

How is the level of access on a particular folder determined? I have heard (its just hearsay so am not particularly sure of it) that the access a particular user/group has to a low level directory is also affected by the level of access granted to the user/group on its parent directories. e.g. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
1 Replies

10. Programming

General question about learning Python

I am planning on taking a class in Python. My choices are 2.5 or 3.0. Which version should I choose? I am getting the impression they are two separate paths. thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
5 Replies
PerlIO::via::Bzip2(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     PerlIO::via::Bzip2(3)

NAME
PerlIO::via::Bzip2 - PerlIO layer for Bzip2 (de)compression SYNOPSIS
use PerlIO::via::Bzip2; # or use PerlIO::via::Bzip2 level => 9; # Maximum compression # Read a bzip2 compressed file from disk. open(my $fh, "<:via(Bzip2)", "compressed_file"); my $uncompressed_data = <$fh>; # Compress data on-the-fly to a bzip2 compressed file on disk. open(my $fh, ">:via(Bzip2)", "compressed_file"); print {$fh} $uncompressed_data; # Set compression level PerlIO::via::Bzip2->level(5); open(my $fh, ">:via(Bzip2)", "compressed_file"); print {$fh} $uncompressed_data; DESCRIPTION
This module implements a PerlIO layer which will let you handle bzip2 compressed files transparently. Class Methods level([$level]) level sets or returns the compression level of the bzip2 library. It ranges from 1 (least compression, most efficient memory use) to 9 (best compression, most memory usage). This parameter can also be set during using library import, using "use PerlIO::via::Bzip2 level => $level". BUGS
Using binmode() on an opened file for compression will pop (remove) the layer. PREREQUISITES
This module requires Compress::Bzip2 version 1.03. SEE ALSO
PerlIO::via, Compress::Bzip2 AUTHOR
Arjen Laarhoven, <arjen@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005 by Arjen Laarhoven This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2005-03-04 PerlIO::via::Bzip2(3)