Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy file systems
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy file systems Post 302524040 by jgt on Friday 20th of May 2011 08:29:16 PM
Old 05-20-2011
Copy file systems

I have to copy 3 file systems from one machine to another on the same local network.
Total data is about 150gb. There is not enough free space on the source system to tar the files and then copy.
I have to do this remotely, no tape or dvd
I need to maintain permissions and ownership.
I have tried rcp, but while the permissions are passed, the ownership becomes root.
I tried mounting the new file systems via nfs, and using "copy -omr"but this also changed the ownership to root
Anyone ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remote file copy across 2 systems (AIX and SCO)

Hello, Pls i need to copy some data from AIX Unix 4.3 to a SCO Openserve 5.0.5 using rcp command. But i keep on having permission error. WHAT IS THE SOLTION OR WHAT COMMAND CAN I USE AGAIN (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aji
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resizing File-Systems

can someone tell me the basic steps needed to resize and existing filesystem that already has data on it? thanks I dont need to be pointed to a website so any real time real life advice or help will be wholly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File systems...

Hello guys, I am new in Unix world. I would like know, how Can I check which type of file system (GPFS, JFS) is on the AIX server. I have AIX 5.1. Could you anyone advice me? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokratis
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file systems for unix

please someone give me 3 file systems for unix HP-UX version !!! thnks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: androc
2 Replies

5. SCO

file systems table

hi Where is file systems table stored, I mean which config file from SCO 5.0.6? On linux is in /etc/fstab. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

7. SCO

Distinguish between file systems

Hello, is there any command in SCO unix by which I can check if the file system is HTFS or DTFS? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mick
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! Need to compare 2 folders on 2 different systems, and copy unmatched filenames to other folder

This has been tearing my hair out. I need to: 1: compare server1:/data/archive/ to server2:/data/archive/ (through rsync, ssh, etc) 2: filenames that don't match, get copied (scp) to server2:/data/ server1 and server2 have ssh, scp, rsync access between eachother. Is there any option in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies
DH_FIXPERMS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_FIXPERMS(1)

NAME
dh_fixperms - fix permissions of files in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_fixperms [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] DESCRIPTION
dh_fixperms is a debhelper program that is responsible for setting the permissions of files and directories in package build directories to a sane state -- a state that complies with Debian policy. dh_fixperms makes all files in usr/share/doc in the package build directory (excluding files in the examples/ directory) be mode 644. It also changes the permissions of all man pages to mode 644. It removes group and other write permission from all files. It removes execute permissions from any libraries, headers, Perl modules, or desktop files that have it set. It makes all files in the standard bin and sbin directories, usr/games/ and etc/init.d executable (since v4). Finally, it removes the setuid and setgid bits from all files in the package. When the Rules-Requires-Root field has the (effective) value of binary-targets, dh_fixperms will also reset the ownership of all paths to "root:root". OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from having their permissions changed. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_FIXPERMS(1)