Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing arguments to alias with multiple commands Post 302523946 by sidorenko on Friday 20th of May 2011 10:52:43 AM
Old 05-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
Code:
alias lss='sudo ls -l $@ | sort -nbk5'
lss -a

Hmm, as fas as I remember `aliases' can't handle arguments, since they are inserted literally. If I need arguments I wrap the code into a function. At least the following example with alias didn't work in Bash and KSH:
Code:
sidorenko@sidorenko>
>alias myecho='echo -- $@ --'

sidorenko@sidorenko>
0 ~>myecho Duck
-- -- Duck

This User Gave Thanks to sidorenko For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments to an alias

I want to have an alias for the command fold -78 filename | lp How do I set my alias so that the argument passed is filename ?? alias lp='fold -78 | lp' then lp filename wont work cuase this is fold -78 | lp filename (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmcg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias confusion - multiple commands ?

I've read the man on the alias command, and I am perplexed. I don't see a way to create an alias that will perform more than one command......is there a way to create an alias that is a string of a commands ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
1 Replies

3. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Passing variables/arguments/parameters to commands

A good place to start is simple variable passing.... Passing variables from one script to another The next level is passing a variable into a more complex command such as using a variable in a sed command. There are some simple quoting techniques that are very general. These are mentioned... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make delays between multiple commands in an alias (ircII)?

Okay so I have an alias that looks like this: ALIAS gscn { MSG gscn Test1 MSG gscn Test2 MSG gscn Test3 MSG gscn Test4 MSG gscn Test5 } How do I make it wait 5 seconds between each command before it executes the next one after that in order from top to bottom? I tried the TIMER... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in passing multiple arguments from a shell script to a pl/sql block

Hi, hope everyone are fine. Please find my issue below, and I request your help in the same In a configuration file, i have a variable defined as below TEST = 'One','Two','Three' I am trying to pass this variable in to a sql script which is define in a pl/sql block as follows, In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple run time arguments

the scenario is - If I pass 3 three arguments( run time) , it should list all .txt files from a path to temp file if I pass 2 arguments ( run time) , it should list all .csv files from the same path to another temp file the above scenario should be handled in single code and also I dont know ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashanth B
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple arguments to a shell script

Hi Gurus, Need some help with the shell scripting here. #!/bin/ksh ps -ef | grep -i sample.ksh | grep -v grep > abc.txt if then echo "sample.ksh is executing" else echo "sample.ksh is not executing" fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple arguments

Hi, I know with getopts you can pass arguments from the command line ./script -ab -c apple But it doesn't support 2 or more arguments for ONE option. Is there any other way to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: testa500
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh multiple hops to execute commands with arguments

Hi I need to write a script to ssh through several hops (e.g. HostA-HostB-HostC-HostD), where Host A does not have direct assess to HostC ; HostB cannot access HostD directly. when I ssh 3 hops and run command with arg1, arg2 and redirect the output to a file, e.g. HostA> ssh -t HostB ssh -t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiensh
3 Replies
aliasadm(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      aliasadm(1M)

NAME
aliasadm - manipulate the NIS+ aliases map SYNOPSIS
aliasadm -a alias expansion [options comments] optional flags aliasadm -c alias expansion [ options comments] [ optional flags] aliasadm -d alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -e alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -l alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -m alias [ optional flags] aliasadm [-I] [-D domainname] [-f filename] [-M mapname] DESCRIPTION
aliasadm makes changes to the alias map. The alias map is an NIS+ table object with four columns: alias The name of the alias as a null terminated string. expansion The value of the alias as it would appear in a sendmail /etc/aliases file. options A list of options applicable to this alias. The only option currently supported is CANON. With this option, if the user has requested an inverse alias lookup, and there is more than one alias with this expansion, this alias is given prefer- ence. comments An arbitrary string containing comments about this alias. The sendmail(1M) command reads this map in addition to the NIS aliases map and the local /etc/aliases database. OPTIONS
-a Add an alias. -c Change an alias. -d Delete an alias. -e Edit the alias map. -I Initialize the NIS+ aliases database. -l List the alias map. -m Print or match an alias. -D domainname Edit the map in domain domainname instead of the current domain. -f filename When editing or listing the database, use filename instead of invoking the editor. -M mapname Edit mapname instead of mail_aliases. FILES
/etc/aliases mail aliases for the local host in ASCII format ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 aliasadm(1M)