Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PERL pattern matching in a file Post 302523841 by pvksandeep on Friday 20th of May 2011 03:07:32 AM
Old 05-20-2011
Hi -

Its working fine.

One small clarification in the code.

Forgot to mention earlier.. My string can have spaces in between.. If I give a space in regexp.. its working

my @regexen=(qr'(^[0-9 a-zA-Z]+$)',qr'(^[ 0-9]+$)',qr'(^[MF]$)');

What does $1 represents inside first "if" condition? Does it means first left paranthesis and $2 means second left paranthesis.

If my string is something like "Ravi Go" .. then $1=Ravi and $2=Go .. right? Correct me if my understanding is not correct. If its like that, then $1 will get only first substring. Here in the code it s working fine. But just want to know how it is working.

Also could you tell me if I want to skip matching first column and check for other two column attribute values .. is this correct?

code:

my @regexen=(qr'(^.*$)',qr'(^[0-9]+$)',qr'(^[MF]$)');

Last edited by pvksandeep; 05-20-2011 at 04:32 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl pattern matching

hi i am trying to get digits inside brackes from file , whose structure is defined below CREATE TABLE TELM (SOC_NO CHAR (3) NOT NULL, TXN_AMOUNT NUMBER (17,3) SIGN_ON_TIME CHAR (8) TELLER_APP_LIMIT NUMBER (17,3) FIL01 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Pattern Matching !!! Help

Hello I got the below one from in one of this forums For Ex: Loading File System Networking in nature now i need to extract the patterns between the words File and Networking : i.e. sample output: System cmd used : cat <file> | sed 's/.*File //' | sed 's/Closing.*$//' Actually... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl -Pattern Matching help..!

Hi, I got doubt in Pattern matching, could you tell me how the following differs in action ?? if ( $line1==/$line2/ ) if ( $line1=~/$line2/ ) if ( $line1=~m/$line2/) What is the significance of '~' in matching. Thanks in advance CoolBhai (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbhai
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Pattern Matching

Hello experts, I have a file containing the following text(shortened here). File Begin ---------- < # Billboard.d3fc1302a677.imagePath=S:\\efcm_T4 < Billboard.d3fc1302a677.imagePath=S:\\efcm_T4 --- > # Billboard.d3fc1302a677.imagePath=S:\\efcm_Cassini >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl pattern matching!!

Hi experts, I have many occurances of the following headers in a file. I need to grep for the word changed/inserted in the header, calculate the difference between the two numbers and list the count incrementally. Headers in a file look like this: ------------------- ---------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Pattern matching...

I am doing a file patterhn matching for a text file in PERL I am using this,,, but it says that no file is found $filepattern = '\d{1,4}.*A0NW9693.NDM.HBIDT.*.AD34XADJ.txt'; Can anyone help me out with Perl Pattern Matching concepts and how to do pattern matching for this txt file:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching in PERL

I have a 2 files in .gz format and it consists of 5 million lines the format of the file would be gzcat file1.gz | more abcde aerere ffgh56 .. .. 12345 gzcat file2.gz | more abcde , 12345 , 67890, ffgh56 , 45623 ,12334 whatever the string is in the file1 should be matched... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with perl pattern matching

My log file looks as given below, its actually a huge file around 1 GB and these are some of the line: conn=5368758 op=10628050 msgId=64 - RESULT err=0 tag=101 nentries=1 etime=0 conn=7462122 op=-1 msgId=-1 - fd=247 slot=247 LDAPS connection from 10.13.18.12:37645 to 10.18.6.45 conn=7462122... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching in Perl

Hi, I have a list of IP, eg : 192.168.0.15 192.168.0.24 192.168.2.110 192.168.2.200 And I would like the shortest pattern who match with '192.168.0' and '192.168.2' (without the last dot and number). (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: X-Or
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Use of *? in Matching Pattern

I am using Perl version 5.8.4 and trying to understand the use of regular expression. Following is my code and output. $string = "Perl is a\nScripting language"; ($start) = ($string =~ /\A(.*?) /); @lines = ($string =~ /^(.*?) /gm); print "First Word (using \\A): $start\n","Line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies
rcsclean(1)															       rcsclean(1)

NAME
rcsclean - clean up working files SYNOPSIS
rcsclean [options] [file...] OPTIONS
Use subst style keyword substitution when retrieving the revision for comparison. See co(1) for details. Do not actually remove any files or unlock any revisions. Using this option will tell you what rcsclean would do without actually doing it. Do not log the actions taken on standard output. This option has no effect other than specifying the revision for comparison. Unlock the revision if it is locked and no difference is found. Emulate RCS version n. See co(1) for details. Use suffixes to characterize RCS files. See ci(1) for details. DESCRIPTION
rcsclean removes working files that were checked out and never modified. For each file given, rcsclean compares the working file and a revision in the corresponding RCS file. If it finds a difference, it does nothing. Otherwise, it first unlocks the revision if the -u option is given, and then removes the working file unless the working file is writable and the revision is locked. It logs its actions by outputting the corresponding rcs -u and rm -f commands on the standard output. If no file is given, all working files in the current directory are cleaned. Pathnames matching an RCS suffix denote RCS files; all others denote working files. Names are paired as explained in ci(1). The number of the revision to which the working file is compared may be attached to any of the options -n, -q, -r, or -u. If no revision number is specified, then if the -u option is given and the caller has one revision locked, rcsclean uses that revision; otherwise rcsclean uses the latest revision on the default branch, normally the root. rcsclean is useful for clean targets in Makefiles. See also rcsdiff(1), which prints out the differences, and ci(1), which normally asks whether to check in a file if it was not changed. RESTRICTIONS
At least one file must be given in older Unix versions that do not provide the needed directory scanning operations. EXAMPLES
rcsclean *.c *.h removes all working files ending in or that were not changed since their checkout. rcsclean removes all working files in the current directory that were not changed since their checkout. ENVIRONMENT
options prepended to the argument list, separated by spaces. A backslash escapes spaces within an option. The RCSINIT options are prepended to the argument lists of most RCS commands. Useful RCSINIT options include -q, -V, and -x. DIAGNOSTICS
The exit status is zero if and only if all operations were successful. Missing working files and RCS files are silently ignored. FILES
rcsclean accesses files much as ci(1) does. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Revision Number: 1.1.6.2; Release Date: 1993/10/07. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 by Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991 by Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
ci(1), co(1), ident(1), rcs(1), rcsdiff(1), rcsintro(1), rcsmerge(1), rlog(1), rcsfile(5) Walter F. Tichy, RCS--A System for Version Control, Software--Practice & Experience 15, 7 (July 1985), 637-654. rcsclean(1)