Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PERL pattern matching in a file Post 302523672 by Skrynesaver on Thursday 19th of May 2011 11:01:35 AM
Old 05-19-2011
A couple of things:
  • You don't need to split the line if you already know what each field and the separator should look like
  • Did you read the link to "perldoc -f open" above? please read it before using the code below
  • In any Perl script that you would consider saving as a tool/utility use strict and warnings .
  • Ok with that out of the way try the following
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

open (my $records_file, '<', 'input.txt') || die "Couldn't open input.txt:\n\t $!";
open (my $accepted , '>', 'accepted.txt')||die "Couldn't open accepted.txt\n\t$!";
open (my $rejects , '>', 'rejects.txt')||die "Couldn't open rejects.txt\n\t$!";
while (<$records_file>){
   if (/^[0-9a-zA-Z]+\|[0-9]+\|[MF]$/ ){
      print $accepted $_;
   }
   else {
      print $rejects $_;
   }
}
close($accepted);
close($rejects);
close($records_file);
print "The valid records from input.txt are in the file accepted.txt and the invalid are in rejects.txt\n";
exit;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl pattern matching

hi i am trying to get digits inside brackes from file , whose structure is defined below CREATE TABLE TELM (SOC_NO CHAR (3) NOT NULL, TXN_AMOUNT NUMBER (17,3) SIGN_ON_TIME CHAR (8) TELLER_APP_LIMIT NUMBER (17,3) FIL01 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Pattern Matching !!! Help

Hello I got the below one from in one of this forums For Ex: Loading File System Networking in nature now i need to extract the patterns between the words File and Networking : i.e. sample output: System cmd used : cat <file> | sed 's/.*File //' | sed 's/Closing.*$//' Actually... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl -Pattern Matching help..!

Hi, I got doubt in Pattern matching, could you tell me how the following differs in action ?? if ( $line1==/$line2/ ) if ( $line1=~/$line2/ ) if ( $line1=~m/$line2/) What is the significance of '~' in matching. Thanks in advance CoolBhai (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbhai
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Pattern Matching

Hello experts, I have a file containing the following text(shortened here). File Begin ---------- < # Billboard.d3fc1302a677.imagePath=S:\\efcm_T4 < Billboard.d3fc1302a677.imagePath=S:\\efcm_T4 --- > # Billboard.d3fc1302a677.imagePath=S:\\efcm_Cassini >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl pattern matching!!

Hi experts, I have many occurances of the following headers in a file. I need to grep for the word changed/inserted in the header, calculate the difference between the two numbers and list the count incrementally. Headers in a file look like this: ------------------- ---------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Pattern matching...

I am doing a file patterhn matching for a text file in PERL I am using this,,, but it says that no file is found $filepattern = '\d{1,4}.*A0NW9693.NDM.HBIDT.*.AD34XADJ.txt'; Can anyone help me out with Perl Pattern Matching concepts and how to do pattern matching for this txt file:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching in PERL

I have a 2 files in .gz format and it consists of 5 million lines the format of the file would be gzcat file1.gz | more abcde aerere ffgh56 .. .. 12345 gzcat file2.gz | more abcde , 12345 , 67890, ffgh56 , 45623 ,12334 whatever the string is in the file1 should be matched... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with perl pattern matching

My log file looks as given below, its actually a huge file around 1 GB and these are some of the line: conn=5368758 op=10628050 msgId=64 - RESULT err=0 tag=101 nentries=1 etime=0 conn=7462122 op=-1 msgId=-1 - fd=247 slot=247 LDAPS connection from 10.13.18.12:37645 to 10.18.6.45 conn=7462122... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching in Perl

Hi, I have a list of IP, eg : 192.168.0.15 192.168.0.24 192.168.2.110 192.168.2.200 And I would like the shortest pattern who match with '192.168.0' and '192.168.2' (without the last dot and number). (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: X-Or
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Use of *? in Matching Pattern

I am using Perl version 5.8.4 and trying to understand the use of regular expression. Following is my code and output. $string = "Perl is a\nScripting language"; ($start) = ($string =~ /\A(.*?) /); @lines = ($string =~ /^(.*?) /gm); print "First Word (using \\A): $start\n","Line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies
FileCache(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    FileCache(3pm)

NAME
FileCache - keep more files open than the system permits SYNOPSIS
no strict 'refs'; use FileCache; # or use FileCache maxopen => 16; cacheout $mode, $path; # or cacheout $path; print $path @data; $fh = cacheout $mode, $path; # or $fh = cacheout $path; print $fh @data; DESCRIPTION
The "cacheout" function will make sure that there's a filehandle open for reading or writing available as the pathname you give it. It automatically closes and re-opens files if you exceed your system's maximum number of file descriptors, or the suggested maximum maxopen. cacheout EXPR The 1-argument form of cacheout will open a file for writing ('>') on it's first use, and appending ('>>') thereafter. Returns EXPR on success for convenience. You may neglect the return value and manipulate EXPR as the filehandle directly if you prefer. cacheout MODE, EXPR The 2-argument form of cacheout will use the supplied mode for the initial and subsequent openings. Most valid modes for 3-argument "open" are supported namely; '>', '+>', '<', '<+', '>>', '|-' and '-|' To pass supplemental arguments to a program opened with '|-' or '-|' append them to the command string as you would system EXPR. Returns EXPR on success for convenience. You may neglect the return value and manipulate EXPR as the filehandle directly if you prefer. CAVEATS
While it is permissible to "close" a FileCache managed file, do not do so if you are calling "FileCache::cacheout" from a package other than which it was imported, or with another module which overrides "close". If you must, use "FileCache::cacheout_close". Although FileCache can be used with piped opens ('-|' or '|-') doing so is strongly discouraged. If FileCache finds it necessary to close and then reopen a pipe, the command at the far end of the pipe will be reexecuted - the results of performing IO on FileCache'd pipes is unlikely to be what you expect. The ability to use FileCache on pipes may be removed in a future release. FileCache does not store the current file offset if it finds it necessary to close a file. When the file is reopened, the offset will be as specified by the original "open" file mode. This could be construed to be a bug. The module functionality relies on symbolic references, so things will break under 'use strict' unless 'no strict "refs"' is also specified. BUGS
sys/param.h lies with its "NOFILE" define on some systems, so you may have to set maxopen yourself. perl v5.16.2 2012-08-26 FileCache(3pm)