Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers merge lines within a file that start with a similar pattern Post 302523475 by a_ba on Thursday 19th of May 2011 02:45:02 AM
Old 05-19-2011
merge lines within a file that start with a similar pattern

Hello! i have a text file.. which contains the data as follows
Quote:
int a,b,c
int d
float e,f,g
float h,i
float j
char m,p
char q,r
i want to merge the declarations lines pertaining to one datatype in to a single line as follows
Quote:
int a,b,c,d
float e,f,g,h,i,j
char m,p,q,r
i've searched the forum for help.. but couldn't find much help.. how can i do this??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent : Merge similar lines

Hi, I have a file like this. please notice that ./usr/orders1/order_new_2627 appears more than once, thus needs to be merged. I would like to merge the lines where the first column match so the output should be like this: Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines in text file based on pattern

Hello, I have searched forum trying to find a solution to my problem, but could not find anything or I did not understand the examples.... I should say, I am very inexperienced with text processing. I have a text file with approx 60k lines in it. I need to merge lines based on the number... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertik
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines from one file if pattern matches

I have one comma separated file (a.txt) with two or more records all matching except for the last column. I would like to merge all matching lines into one and consolidate the last column, separated by ":". Does anyone know of a way to do this easily? I've searched the forum but most talked... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge same pattern lines together

Hi people... I normally find with out any problem the solutions I need just by searching. But for this I'm not having any joy or jsut failing to adapt what I'ev found to work. I have applciation report that doesn't allow for manipulation at creation so I want to do some post modifcation... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with merge two file based on similar column content

Input file 1: A1BG A1BG A1BG A1CF A1CF BCAS BCAS A2LD1 A2M A2M HAT . . Input file 2: A1BG All A1CF TEMP (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join all the lines matching similar pattern

I am trying to Join all the lines matching similar pattern. Example ; I wanted to join all the lines which has sam to a single line. In next line, i wanted to have all the lines with jones to a single line....etc > cat sample.txt sam 2012/11/23 sam 2012/12/5 sam 2012/12/5 jones... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to merge lines based on pattern

Hi, I have a requirement to merge multiple lines based on search pattern. The search criteria is : it will search for CONSTRAINT and when it found CONSTRAINT, it will merge all lines to 1 line till it founds blank line. For Example: CREATE TABLE "AMS_DISTRIBUTOR_XREF" ( "SOURCE"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Range Pattern and 2 lines before Start Pattern

Hi all, I have been searching all over Google but I am unable to find a solution for a particular result that I am trying to achieve. Consider the following input: 1 2 3 4 5 B4Srt1--Variable-0000 B4Srt2--Variable-1111 Srt 6 7 8 9 10 End (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: y2jacky
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash/shell merge similar lines

Hello, I've been working on a bash script to parse through firewall logs (cisco). I'm nearing the end and have a dilemma. My data looks as such (actual data is several gigs worth of logs - without the headers): sourceIP destinationIP destinationProtocol destinationPort 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umang2382
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch lines between 1st and 4th similar pattern

Hi Folks, I have a big file that looks like below ========== kjhjl kjlklkkhcgflj fgf ========== xsww23edc ccdde3rfv ceerfcc vff4 ========== zaq12wsx xsw23edc ========== ========== (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)