Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Modify ulimit nofiles descriptor Post 302523262 by ctsgnb on Wednesday 18th of May 2011 09:14:01 AM
Old 05-18-2011
This User Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ulimit nofiles

Hi, We have an AIX system on oslevel 5.2 and we have the current limits set for the user "XXX" time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1024000 stack(kbytes) 32768 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 2097151... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor

Hi What the below path contains? /proc/<pid>/fd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ulimit -a : nofiles ?

Hi folk, I have a question.. $ ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 32768 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 2097151 nofiles(descriptors) 5000 What is the significance of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

6. Solaris

ulimit

how do i check the ulimit set on my server.. ca i know whats the command ?? thanks in advance .. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
5 Replies

7. AIX

nofiles in ulimit

Hi all, What are the nofiles in ulimit for? How can these affect the server performance? What are the desired values for this? below is the result of ulimit -a on the server. time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) unlimited stack(kbytes) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guzzelle
1 Replies

8. Solaris

ulimit

Hello, could you help me please? I write in command line: "ulimit 500" -> i've set the max size of 512-bytes blocks that i can write in one file. But when after it i use ulimit.3c in my program: "ulimit(UL_GETFSIZE);" the result turns out 1000. Why is it so? They always differ so that one is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zhenya_
2 Replies

9. Solaris

ulimit issue with open files descriptor

We have lots of error with "Too many open files" issue. So when I increase the limit to 36656 as suggested by this forum, and when i log out from the platform, it always went back to origin value, what has went wrong ? please any suggestion ? root@hsbc_milan> ulimit -a core file size ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nofiles & nproc change on RHEL not taking effect

I am installing a statistical applicaton and for its web components it is a listed requirement that I have soft limits of files (20480) and no of processes (soft t o 10240). I am on RHEL 6.1. As root I made the following changes in /etc/security/limits.conf * soft nproc 10240 * hard nproc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
4 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit -- get and set process limits LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, ...); DESCRIPTION
The ulimit() function will get and set process limits. Currently, this is limited to the maximum file size. The cmd argument is one of the following: UL_GETFSIZE will return the maximum file size of the current process, in units of 512-byte blocks. UL_SETFSIZE will attempt to set the maximum file size of the current process and its children, using the second argument (expressed as a long). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, ulimit() returns the value requested; otherwise, the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The ulimit() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The command specified was invalid. [EPERM] The limit specified to ulimit() would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2) STANDARDS
The ulimit() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The ulimit() function first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
The ulimit() function provides limited precision for setting and retrieving process limits. If there is a need for greater precision than the type long provides, the getrlimit(2) and setrlimit(2) functions should be considered. BSD
January 4, 2003 BSD