Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to store files names from a directory to an array Post 302523091 by KenJackson on Tuesday 17th of May 2011 11:37:03 PM
Old 05-18-2011
I haven't used the MKS toolkit, but here's an interesting test that might shed light:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
DIR=/tmp/test
rm -rf $DIR;  mkdir -p $DIR;  cd $DIR  ||  exit 1
touch "ab cd" "ef gh" "ij kl"

a=()
for f in *; do
    a[${#a[@]}]="$f"
done

for f in "${a[@]}"; do
    echo "$f"
done

These are the results I get when I run it:
Code:
ab cd
ef gh
ij kl

This User Gave Thanks to KenJackson For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting all the files modified today & store the names in a variable as , separated

Hi all, I have a question. I have a folder. I want to find the list of files that are modified today and store all those file names in a variable as comma separated values. I thought of using "find . -mtime 0" command to find the list of files modified today. Also to get those values of file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Directory from array of file names with paths

I have a script that generates a variable with the location of a file and its complete path. What i want to do is to "cd" to the directory where that file is located using the path name of the file. GIS has absolutely failed me. For example when i run my script it generates a variable called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Knome
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash Script: Issue with iterating Directory and store into array

Hi all, I am working on a backup based script, in which it enters to a directory and check the sub-directories and copy the names into an array. cd $CPFs k=0 for i in * do if then ARRs="$i" k=$(($k+1)) #echo "$i" ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: canishk
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files from an array of names

I haven’t used Unix in over 25 years … and so I am at a loss for something that should be very simple. I have a lot of jpeg files (i.jpg) of students in a yearbook.. I also have an array name(i) of their names. I need to rename each “i.jpg” to “name(i).jpg”. I believe the ksh script... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuckmg
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What amount of store occupy only files in a directory?

Hello I'm trying to do an exercise programming in bash where I have to get only the store of files in a directory but NOT all capacity of the directory. I probe with: du -sh "$directory"*` but I get all the capacity and I probe with ls command but I couldnt. Are there any way to get only files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adiegorpc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit names of files in a directory

Hi all, I have a directory with multiple (thousnads) of files, which are named this way ABCDEF.wo.im-1 OKRAME.ire.roi IOJEAFO01.irt.gfg IMNYBL05.REG.gkf I would like to keep the part of the name (everything before the first dot in the filename). The desired output: ABCDEF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
APPLE_DUMP(1)							   Netatalk 2.2 						     APPLE_DUMP(1)

NAME
apple_dump - Dump AppleSingle/AppleDouble format file SYNOPSIS
apple_dump [-a] FILE | DIR apple_dump -f FILE apple_dump -d FILE apple_dump -h | -help | --help apple_dump -v | -version | --version DESCRIPTION
apple_dump dump AppleSingle/AppleDouble format file. OPTIONS
-a FILE|DIR This is default. Dump a AppleSingle/AppleDouble file for FILE or DIR automatically. Extrapolate FinderInfo type from absolute path. If FILE is not AppleSingle/AppleDouble format, look for .AppleDouble/FILE and ._FILE. If DIR, look for DIR/.AppleDouble/.Parent and ._DIR. -f FILE Dump FILE. Assume FinderInfo to be FileInfo. -d FILE Dump FILE. Assume FinderInfo to be DirInfo. -h, -help, --help Display the help and exit -v, -version, --version Show version and exit NOTE
There is no way to detect whether FinderInfo is FileInfo or DirInfo. By default, apple_dump examins whether file or directory, a parent directory is .AppleDouble, filename is ._*, filename is .Parent, and so on. If setting option -f or -d, assume FinderInfo and doesn't look for another file. SEE ALSO
ad(1) Netatalk 2.2 02 Sep 2011 APPLE_DUMP(1)