Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver? Post 302523069 by Corona688 on Tuesday 17th of May 2011 07:51:38 PM
Old 05-17-2011
Yes, you can. It often ends up as just a package like everything else, capable of being upgraded and replaced. You can even update it outside the package manager, just putting the right files in the right places -- though the package manager may never forgive you... I lost a Mandrake/Mandriva system that way, the package manager just locked up and never did anything else ever again, at all, ever, when I upgraded my own kernel. That's one reason I use gentoo, it installs kernel source, not kernel binaries, so you can do what you please with them and it won't throw a fit when I upgrade it when I want, or boot it with 3 different kernels should I want to.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel and Device Driver Programming

I am looking for a guide on how to program for either the Linux or FreeBSD (includes 4.4BSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) kernel. I would prefer to learn how to write device drivers, but anything would help. If you know, please email me at *removed* or leave a post here Regards, Farhan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

2. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies
URTWNFW(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						URTWNFW(4)

NAME
urtwnfw -- Firmware Module for Realtek Wireless driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this module into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device urtwnfw This will include three firmware images inside the kernel. If you want to pick only the firmware image for your network adapter choose one of the following: device urtwn-rtl8192cfwT device urtwn-rtl8192cfwU device urtwn-rtl8188eufw Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): urtwn-rtl8192cfwT_load="YES" urtwn-rtl8192cfwU_load="YES" urtwn-rtl8188eufw_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
This module provides access to firmware sets for the Realtek RTL8188CUS, RTL8188CE-VAU, RTL8188EUS, RTL8188RU and RTL8192CU chip based USB WiFi adapters. It may be statically linked into the kernel, or loaded as a module. For the loaded firmware to be enabled for use the license at /usr/share/doc/legal/realtek must be agreed to by adding the following line to loader.conf(5): legal.realtek.license_ack=1 FILES
/usr/share/doc/legal/realtek urtwnfw firmware license SEE ALSO
urtwn(4), firmware(9) BSD
April 25, 2014 BSD