Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver? Post 302523069 by Corona688 on Tuesday 17th of May 2011 07:51:38 PM
Old 05-17-2011
Yes, you can. It often ends up as just a package like everything else, capable of being upgraded and replaced. You can even update it outside the package manager, just putting the right files in the right places -- though the package manager may never forgive you... I lost a Mandrake/Mandriva system that way, the package manager just locked up and never did anything else ever again, at all, ever, when I upgraded my own kernel. That's one reason I use gentoo, it installs kernel source, not kernel binaries, so you can do what you please with them and it won't throw a fit when I upgrade it when I want, or boot it with 3 different kernels should I want to.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel and Device Driver Programming

I am looking for a guide on how to program for either the Linux or FreeBSD (includes 4.4BSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) kernel. I would prefer to learn how to write device drivers, but anything would help. If you know, please email me at *removed* or leave a post here Regards, Farhan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

2. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies
DH_INSTALLWM(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_INSTALLWM(1)

NAME
dh_installwm - register a window manager SYNOPSIS
dh_installwm [debhelperoptions] [-n] [--priority=n] [wm...] DESCRIPTION
dh_installwm is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating the postinst and prerm commands that register a window manager with update-alternatives(8). The window manager's man page is also registered as a slave symlink (in v6 mode and up), if it is found in usr/share/man/man1/ in the package build directory. FILES
debian/package.wm List window manager programs to register. OPTIONS
--priority=n Set the priority of the window manager. Default is 20, which is too low for most window managers; see the Debian Policy document for instructions on calculating the correct value. -n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. Turns this command into a no-op. wm ... Window manager programs to register. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_INSTALLWM(1)