Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX What's the difference between VIOS and LPAR? Post 302523060 by dukessd on Tuesday 17th of May 2011 06:06:06 PM
Old 05-17-2011
Quote:
"HMC/LPAR license is not free and VIO is almost free but limited in functionality."
I think this should probably read:

APV / Power VM license is not free and IVM is almost free but limited in functionality.

Depending on your level of understanding this could be tricky to explain.

Here is a good starting point:
PowerVM QuickStart
This User Gave Thanks to dukessd For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Problem mapping LUN disk from VIOS to the LPAR

Hello guys, It would be so nice of you if someone can provide me with these informations. 1) My SAN group assigned 51G of LUN space to the VIO server.I ran cfgdev to discover the newly added LUN. Unfortunately most of the disks that are in VIO server is 51G. How would I know which is the newly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

2. AIX

DUAL VIOS & Client LPAR hangs at 25b3

I have a DUAL VIO ( IBM Virtual I/O ) setup on p 570. Two Vio server ( VIOS ) and many LPAR clients. VIO ( latest version + service pack + applied the fix ) and AIX 6.1 ML2 When both VIOs are running, and if I turn on a Client LPAR, the LPAR hangs at LED 25b3 for more than 1 hour then it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

3. AIX

VIOS to lpar Mapping

Hello, I have created mapping of 2 virtual adapters for Lpars using following command: mkvdev -vdev ipanalyzerlv1 -vadapter vhost11 mkvdev -vdev ipanalyzerlv -vadapter vhost13 The above two commands were succesfull but when I want to map the third virtual device to the same Lpar than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
3 Replies

4. AIX

VIOS IP address - separate vlan for vios servers ?

Hello, Lets say for simplicity that I do not use any vlan config inside my server - one lpar group use hea physical port1, another group hea physical port2. Physical port1 configured as vlan1 on external switch, physical port2 as vlan2. What is the common practice - should I isolate my vios... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

5. AIX

List LPAR from VIOS

Hi guys, does anyone know how to get a list of the LPAR running on VIOS? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cecco16
5 Replies

6. AIX

VIOS LPAR Error 0518

I am trying to install AIX 5.3 on one of the LPARs through VIOS but I get this error 0518 Reference Code Selection 0518 (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:20 AM UTC) Starting kernel (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM UTC) AIX is starting. (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
10 Replies

7. AIX

Difference between lpar and lun

Hello, What's the difference between lpar and a lun? Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

8. AIX

Moving VIOS, LPAR's, HMC to different subnet

Hi, Just joined to new company with one Power 720 Express (8202-E4C) server and have no much experience with IBM systems. I am trying to move everything I mentioned to different subnet as required by customer contract (currently sitting on same subnet as company lan). Access to this subnet will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: spricer
8 Replies

9. AIX

VIOS: Extend virtual disk assigned to running lpar?

Hello, VIOS 2.2.1.4 using IVM. I'm trying to extend a virtual disk assigned to a running lpar so that I can expand the lpar's datavg and grow some filesystems for the user. Storage admin expanded the lun and new size was reflected in VIO right away. I then needed the storage pool to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_aix
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to install client AIX LPAR to vscsi hdisk provided from VIOS

Hi everybody, I have Power5 server with 4 internal hdisks each of 70Gb. VIOS server was installed via Virtual I/O Server Image Repository on the HMC. HMC release - 7.7.0 VIOS rootvg installed on 2 disk(these disks merged to one storage pool during VIOS install process),and 2 others hdisks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravil Khalilov
2 Replies
pnmpsnr(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   pnmpsnr(1)

NAME
pnmpsnr - compute the difference between two portable anymaps SYNOPSIS
pnmpsnr [pnmfile1] [pnmfile2] DESCRIPTION
Reads two PBM, PGM, or PPM files, or PAM equivalents, as input. Prints the peak signal-to-noise ratio (PSNR) difference between the two images. This metric is typically used in image compression papers to rate the distortion between original and decoded image. If the inputs are PBM or PGM, pnmpsnr prints the PSNR of the luminance only. Otherwise, it prints the separate PSNRs of the luminance, and chrominance (Cb and Cr) components of the colors. The PSNR of a given component is the ratio of the mean square difference of the component for the two images to the maximum mean square difference that can exist betwee any two images. It is expressed as a decibel value. The mean square difference of a component for two images is the mean square difference of the component value, comparing each pixel with the pixel in the same position of the other image. For the purposes of this computation, components are normalized to the scale [0..1]. The maximum mean square difference is identically 1. So the higher the PSNR, the closer the images are. A luminance PSNR of 20 means the mean square difference of the luminances of the pixels is 100 times less than the maximum possible difference, i.e. 0.01. SEE ALSO
pnm(5) 04 March 2001 pnmpsnr(1)