Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to restore rootvg archive after AIX 6.1 crash Post 302522978 by +Yan on Tuesday 17th of May 2011 11:50:26 AM
Old 05-17-2011
Error How to restore rootvg archive after AIX 6.1 crash

Hello,
Few days ago I created both mksysb and savevg archives of rootvg.
How can I restore this rootvg now because the AIX crashed during some software tests. There is no way to start from hdisk0 because most of the system files are deleted (this includes libc.a).
I tough it will be trivial task to restore the system from archive, but when I booted from original AIX 6.1 DVD it only accepts restoration from tape or DVD. I have this archives on NFS.
I tried to mount iscsi but the operation failed because of missing command ...
I'm using the original IBM AIX DVD. The machine is IBM P520.
We have VIOS server installed on it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective restore from a cpio tape archive

Hi, I use following command to restore data from my cpio tape archive: $cpio -icvd < /dev/rct0 But this'll restore all tape contents to the current path, what if I want only selected files from the tape, suppose I want /home/compdir/home2/Rev83/data/PL/01/*.* files to be restored... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Can I restore from a flash archive without re-entering the basic sys info?

Hi I would like to be able to take adhoc backups of my systems using flash archive - flarcreate - and then restore from them to the same system without having to enter the basic configuration again when I boot from the Solaris CD. So, I'd like to be able to create a flar archive ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emjs
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Archive and Restore

Can someone please let me have a nice shell script to: 1) Identify all folders/sub-folders/files older than 365 days with the exception of one or two folders e.g. named - "common" or "test" 2) Archive (1) above for example in a TAR file 3) Delete all in (1) above and that's it... 4) In case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahmud
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX Rootvg mirror and sysdumplv

Guys, In my AIX 6.1 box the rootvg was on hdisk2, I tried to migrated it to hdisk0 Added hisk0 to rootvg , mirrored rootvg and changed bootlist and and sucessfully rebooted from hdisk0 Now I tried to remove the hdisk2 from rootvg so breaked mirror -bash-3.00# unmirrorvg rootvg hdisk2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

restore data after system crash

Hi all, I have a server running HP-UX 11i V1 (11.11). We had a problem with the system disk which cannot boot and the recovery with the CD failed too. the only solution was to re-install the system on a new disk. The problem now is to get access to the data which are on other disks, not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
2 Replies

6. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to restore cpio archive to a directory

Hello Every one, I want to back up all passwd files to /xyz/passfiles.cpio and Then restore them to /abc directory. Here is what I wrote: find / -name passwd | cpio -oc > /tmp/passwd.cpio and to restore cd abc cpio -ium < /tmp/passwd.cpio I can not find the files restored to /abc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drdigital_m
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Restore from Flash Archive on local filesystem

I am doing a practice restore using a test UNIX(Solaris) system, and a SCSI Hard Drive whose slice 5 contains the Flash Archive file that I need to restore from. The test system is offline( no network ) and does not have external devices, such as tape drive. My goal is to somehow restore the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: the.gooch
9 Replies

9. AIX

Using restorevgfiles to restore entire directory from rootvg problems

I am trying to restore a specific directory and all sub-directories therein using a rootvg tape. I am using the following command to make the backup: mksysb -m -i -v /dev/rmt0 However, I am getting the following result: tctl status rmt0 Available 04-08-00-0,0 LVD SCSI 4mm Tape Drive... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
10 Replies

10. AIX

AIX break rootvg mirror from system down

Hello, aix 5.2, mirrored rootvg on hdisk0 and hdisk1. hdisk0 is dead. I can boot to cd, into sms, into maintenance mode. I can fsck all the various partitions on hdisk1 (the hd4 hd2 hd3, etc...) all is fine. But without the hdisk0 part of the mirror I cannot get the system to boot. ystem hangs on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshapiro
6 Replies
restoretextmode(1)						Svgalib User Manual						restoretextmode(1)

NAME
restoretextmode - save or restore the SVGA registers for textmode. SYNOPSIS
restoretextmode {-r|-w} filename DESCRIPTION
The state of the SVGA is written to or restored from filename using the vga_gettextmoderegs(3) and vga_settextmoderegs(3) functions. As of this writing this file is 385 bytes long but this might change with future versions. Please do not fiddle with the contents of the file except when you know what you do. It might even result in hardware damage. Because of that, you should think twice to make this command available to all users on your system. The purpose of this program is usually to recover from a crashed console due to an svgalib, Xfree or other program bug. First save the state of the SVGA card when on a text console. After the crash restore this state. The savetextmode(1) and textmode(1) script makes this procedure very easy. OPTIONS
-w filename write the SVGA state to the file filename. -r filename restore the SVGA state from the file filename. SEE ALSO
svgalib(7), vgagl(7), libvga.config(5), vga_gettextmoderegs(3), vga_settextmoderegs(3), dumpreg(1), convfont(1), fix132x43(1), restore- font(1), restorepalette(1), runx(1), savetextmode(1), setmclk(1), textmode(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was edited by Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>. The exact source of the referenced utility as well as of the original documentation is unknown. It is very likely that both are at least to some extent are due to Harm Hanemaayer <H.Hanemaayer@inter.nl.net>. Occasionally this might be wrong. I hereby asked to be excused by the original author and will happily accept any additions or corrections to this first version of the svgalib manual. Svgalib (>;= 1.2.11) 2 Aug 1997 restoretextmode(1)