Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Passing by reference question Post 302522951 by mind@work on Tuesday 17th of May 2011 09:32:49 AM
Old 05-17-2011
Passing by reference question

Hello All,

I have a question in the following sample code:

If I am passing a reference of a variable, will the dynamic allocation happen in which it is passed?

Will the dynamic allocation will actually change the memory contents of char array "arr"?

Code:
int main()
{

char *arr;

arr = (char*) malloc(15);

fxn(&arr);

}

int fxn(char** i)
{

//allocated memory: will this change the memory of char array "arr"?

*i = (char*) malloc(25);

//sm code

}

Thank you everyone in advance.

Last edited by mind@work; 05-17-2011 at 10:56 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question in reference to the pipe |

My question is can you use the pipe more than one time in the same command line? By the way I am new to UNIX. Thanks in advanced! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elkoreanopr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Question: passing a variable into java from script?

I'm currently working on my second ever ksh script! So I apologize if this is a stupid question - I've searched the forum and on google and haven't seen anything :confused: I'm running my script with an input at startup that variable determines a couple of other values(int) that I store into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cailet
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on passing multiple parameters in if

Hi All, My target is to find the list of orphan processes running and i issue the below command with some exception ids. ps -ef | egrep -v "root|system|admin" | awk '{if ($3 == 1) print $1",\t"$2",\t"$3}' but this will exclude the process having the word 'root' and executing under different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbol reference

Hi, test -d .ssh || mkdir .ssh && chmod 700 .ssh The command has couple of symbols, could someone redirect me to the link, where i can understand their significance. Thanks, John (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john_prince
1 Replies

5. Programming

Passing Pointers by reference in C++ Problem

Hello All, I am having this issue...where I am actually having hard time understanding the problem: The code is as follows: #include<iostream.h> void fxn(char*** var) { int i =4; *var = (char**)malloc(i*sizeof(char*)); for(int j =0; j<4; j++) { *var = "name"; cout<<*var;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop

I have an for loop that reads the following file cat param.cfg val1:env1:opt1 val2:env2:opt2 val3:env3:opt3 val4:env4:opt4 . . The for loop extracts the each line of the file so that at any one point, the value of i is val1:env1:opt1 etc... I would like to extract each... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl de-reference code reference variable

Guys, May i know how can we de reference the code reference variable.? my $a = sub{$a=shift;$b=shift;print "SUM:",($a+$b),"\n";}; print $a->(4,5); How can we print the whole function ? Please suggest me regarding this. Thanks for your time :) Cheers, Ranga :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

General question about passing variables among shell scripts

So this is something I've been wondering how to do for a while. Suppose I have two shell scripts a.sh and b.sh script a does some function and outputs to a varable $x . I would then like to take $x into the second function, b.sh, and do a function on it and create some output. So how do you pass... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get last reference date

Hi, Could you please help me to get last reference date in Unix, in Unix we maintain SAS7BDAT files. Is there any command or script to get the info, Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbarao12
2 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Question; $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); DESCRIPTION
A Net::DNS::Question object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10', 'PTR', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10'); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. One or both type and class arguments may be omitted and will assume the default values shown above. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in both in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa namespaces. decode $question = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); ($question, $offset) = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); Decodes the question record at the specified location within a DNS wire-format packet. The first argument is a reference to the buffer containing the packet data. The second argument is the offset of the start of the question record. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. An exception is raised if the object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). encode $data = $question->encode( $offset, $hash ); Returns the Net::DNS::Question in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet buffer. The optional arguments are the offset within the packet data where the Net::DNS::Question is to be stored and a reference to a hash table used to index compressed names within the packet. qname, zname $qname = $question->qname; $zname = $question->zname; Returns the question name attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zname() and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype $qtype = $question->qtype; $ztype = $question->ztype; Returns the question type attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as ztype() and refers to the zone type. qclass, zclass $qclass = $question->qclass; $zclass = $question->zclass; Returns the question class attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zclass() and refers to the zone class. print $object->print; Prints the record to the standard output. Calls the string() method to get the string representation. string print "string = ", $question->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c)2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c)2003,2006-2011 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, Net::DNS::Packet, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.16.2 2012-01-27 Net::DNS::Question(3)