Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XML parsing in KSH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting XML parsing in KSH Post 302522852 by chihung on Monday 16th of May 2011 10:06:17 PM
Old 05-16-2011
xmllint is a very handy tool to work with XML files. Here is a foolproof way to get the ip addresss no matter how your XML file is formatted, even it is packed in one line.

Code:
echo "
setns a=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
xpath /a:serverList/a:server[@ip]" | \
	xmllint --shell sample.xml | \
	awk '/ATTRIBUTE ip$/{getline;getline;split($0,a,"=");print a[2]}'

I blog about xmllint sometime ago because I cannot find any useful examples on the internet. See this Chi Hung Chan
This User Gave Thanks to chihung For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing xml

I want to use wget comment to parse an xml parse that exist in an online website. How can I connect it using shell script through Unix and how can I parse it?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnut
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and getting data from XML file using ksh script

Hi All, I have a xml file for example as described below <xml> <address> <street><street> <address/> <isbn>426728783932020308393930303</isbn> <book> <name> </name> </book> . . . </xml> My problem is to get the isbn number from the above described file using ksh script. Could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinna
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl parsing compared to Ksh parsing

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w $ip = "$ARGV"; $rw = "$ARGV"; $snmpg = "/usr/local/bin/snmpbulkget -v2c -Cn1 -Cn2 -Os -c $rw"; $snmpw = "/usr/local/bin/snmpwalk -Os -c $rw"; $syst=`$snmpg $ip system sysName sysObjectID`; sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing

I have a xml file attached. I need to parse parameterId and its value My output should be like 151515 38 151522 32769 and so on.. Please help me. Its urgent (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LavanyaP
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML

Learned People, Hello ! Till today, for the most part, all of the tricky questions/situations that I encountered were already posted by other folks and all I had to do was peruse through these one at a time and I could find some sort of an answer and all I had to do was add some minor tweaks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharMa
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

XML Parsing

I had a big XML and from which I have to make a layout as below *TOTAL+CB | *CB+FX | CS |*IR | *TOTAL | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |CB FX | | | | DMFXNY EMSGFX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML: parsing of the Google contacts XML file

I am trying to parse the XML Google contact file using tools like xmllint and I even dived into the XSL Style Sheets using xsltproc but I get nowhere. I can not supply any sample file as it contains private data but you can download your own contacts using this script: #!/bin/sh # imports... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing

i have xml output in below format... <AlertsResponse> <Alert id="11216" name="fgdfg"> <AlertActionLog timestamp="1356521629778" user="admin" detail="Recovery Alert"/> </Alert> <Alert id="11215" name="gdfg <AlertActionLog timestamp="1356430119840" user=""... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Parsing :

HI I want to parse below file in to two output :- Input :- ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <bulkCmConfigDataFile xmlns:un="utranNrm.xsd" <configData dnPrefix="Undefined"> <xn:SubNetwork id="ONRM_ROOT_MO_R"> <xn:MeContext id="C136"> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing

I have an xml file where the format looks like below <SESSIONCOMPONENT REFOBJECTNAME ="pre_session_command" REUSABLE ="NO" TYPE ="Pre-session command"> <TASK DESCRIPTION ="" NAME ="pre_session_command" REUSABLE ="NO" TYPE ="Command" VERSIONNUMBER ="1"> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
8 Replies
libxml(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 libxml(3)

NAME
libxml - library used to parse XML files DESCRIPTION
The libxml library is used to parse XML files. Its internal document repesentation is as close as possible to the DOM (Document Object Model) interface, an API for accessing XML or HTML structured documents. The libxml library also has a SAX-like interface, which is designed to be compatible with expat(1). NOTE: SAX, the Simple API for XML, is a standard interface for event-based XML parsing, developed collaboratively by the members of the XML-DEV mailing list, currently hosted by OASIS. The expat library is a XML 1.0 parser written in C, which aims to be fully conforming. It is currently not a validating XML pro- cessor. The libxml library now includes a nearly complete XPath implementation. The XPath (XML Path Language) is a language for addressing parts of an XML document, designed to be used by both XSLT and XPointer. The libxml library exports Push and Pull type parser interfaces for both XML and html. FILES
/depot/lib/libxml_2.0.0/libxml.a static library /depot/lib/libxml_2.0.0/libxml.so shareable library /depot/package/libxml_2.0.0/bin/xmllint binary application for parsing XML files AUTHORS
Daniel Veillard (daniel@veillard.com). Red Hat Inc. Manual page by Ziying Sherwin (sherwin@nlm.nih.gov), Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications, U.S. National Library of Medicine. SEE ALSO
xmllint(1), libxslt(3), libexslt(3), xsltproc(1) 12 April 2000 libxml(3)