Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create unique tar archives from a list of directories Post 302522584 by Steelysteel on Monday 16th of May 2011 01:25:07 AM
Old 05-16-2011
Create unique tar archives from a list of directories

I'm looking to archive a client directory from a CIFS share

There are multiple directories that will be stored in a text file and I'm looking to
create an individual tar archive of each folder in the directory.

I've tried a number of commands to no avail.

Here's what I would like.

text file contents
Code:
dirA
dirB
dirC

output:
Code:
dirA.tar
dirB.tar
dirC.tar

This command appears to work but the tar file isn't created in my current directory.
Code:
for i in `cat textfile`; do tar cvf $i.tar $i; done

*Update*
I did some more testing while typing this and figured out that if I change $i.tar to test.tar, the archive is created. I would like the archive to have the name of the directory that is being archived.

Any ideas of a better way to accomplish this?

Last edited by Franklin52; 05-16-2011 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archives

I have a tar archive which I believe may be corrupted, produced on an HP-UX 10.x box and written to a 4mm DDS-3 tape. I understand that gnu tar has a -W (--verify) option which will attempt to verify the archive after it has been created. Am I right in saying that this option cannot be used to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

segmenting tar archives

assuming i need to create a tar archive which would turn out to be bigger than 2gb, how could i segment the archive into say, 1 gb parts? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crudealien
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Decompressing Tar Archives (Finally!)

If you've come across this problem with unzipping/decompressing zips, you might find this helpful: I was having a little trouble with unzipping (decompressing) tarred archives under OS 10.5 until today. My first attempt was to just simply double-click on the zip file (i.e., example.tar.gz) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multi-Volume tar archives. [solved]

Hi, The only off-line storage medium I have is DVD. I am trying to back up around 10G of data and if I can achieve a practical solution I will use it more generally. I am currently considering something along the lines of: tar --create --multi-volume --tape-length=nnnn <pathspec> |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeGM
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar archives monthly

Hi, I want to archive files by month, is there anyway of this code looks better? find /tmp/w/ -type f -newermt '2014-01-01' ! -newermt '2014-02-01' | xargs tar -czvf files01.tar find /tmp/w/ -type f -newermt '2014-02-01' ! -newermt '2014-03-01' | xargs tar -czvf files02.tar find... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan directories and create a list of files

Gents, Please can you help. I want to create a list which contends the complete patch of the location of some directories with the size of each file. need to select only .txt file In this case I am try to find the subdirectories tp1 and tp2 and create the output list. jd175-1 tp1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy of "How to create a long list of directories with mkdir?"

To bakunin and corona688: My result when text in file is ms_ww_546 ms_rrL_99999 ms_nnn_67_756675 is https://www.unix.com/C:\Users\Fejoz\Desktop\ttt.jpg I hope you can see the picture. There is like a "whitespace character" after 2 of the 3 created directories. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: setub
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a long list of directories with mkdir?

Hi... Thanks to read this... I want to use mkdir to create many directories listed in a text file, let's say. How do I do this? Sorry for this maybe very basic question :) (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: setub
13 Replies
7zr(1)							      General Commands Manual							    7zr(1)

NAME
7zr - A file archiver with highest compression ratio SYNOPSIS
7zr [adeltux] [-] [SWITCH] <ARCHIVE_NAME> <ARGUMENTS>... DESCRIPTION
7-Zip is a file archiver with the highest compression ratio. The program supports 7z (that implements LZMA compression algorithm), ZIP, CAB, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB formats. Compression ratio in the new 7z format is 30-50% better than ratio in ZIP format. 7zr is a stand-alone executable. 7zr handles less archive formats than 7z, but does not need any others. 7zr is a "light-version" of 7za that only handles 7z archives. FUNCTION LETTERS
a Add d Delete e Extract l List t Test u Update x eXtract with full paths SWITCHES
-ai[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard} Include archives -ax[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard} eXclude archives -bd Disable percentage indicator -i[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard} Include filenames -l don't store symlinks; store the files/directories they point to (CAUTION : the scanning stage can never end because of recursive symlinks like 'ln -s .. ldir') -m{Parameters} Set Compression Method (see /usr/share/doc/packages/p7zip/DOCS/MANUAL/switches/method.htm for a list of methods) -mhe=on|off 7z format only : enables or disables archive header encryption (Default : off) -o{Directory} Set Output directory -p{Password} Set Password -r[-|0] Recurse subdirectories (CAUTION: this flag does not do what you think, avoid using it) -sfx[{name}] Create SFX archive -si Read data from StdIn (eg: tar cf - directory | 7zr a -si directory.tar.7z) -so Write data to StdOut (eg: 7zr x -so directory.tar.7z | tar xf -) -slt Sets technical mode for l (list) command -v{Size}[b|k|m|g] Create volumes -u[-][p#][q#][r#][x#][y#][z#][!newArchiveName] Update options -w[path] Set Working directory -x[r[-|0]]]{@listfile|!wildcard} Exclude filenames -y Assume Yes on all queries DIAGNOSTICS
7-Zip returns the following exit codes: 0 Normal (no errors or warnings detected) 1 Warning (Non fatal error(s)). For example, some files cannot be read during compressing. So they were not compressed 2 Fatal error 7 Bad command line parameters 8 Not enough memory for operation 255 User stopped the process with control-C (or similar) Backup and limitations DO NOT USE the 7-zip format for backup purpose on Linux/Unix because : - 7-zip does not store the owner/group of the file. On Linux/Unix, in order to backup directories you must use tar : - to backup a directory : tar cf - directory | 7zr a -si directory.tar.7z - to restore your backup : 7zr x -so directory.tar.7z | tar xf - If you want to send files and directories (not the owner of file) to others Unix/MacOS/Windows users, you can use the 7-zip format. example : 7zr a directory.7z directory Do not use "-r" because this flag does not do what you think. Do not use directory/* because of ".*" files (example : "directory/*" does not match "directory/.profile") EXAMPLE 1 7zr a -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on archive.7z dir1 adds all files from directory "dir1" to archive archive.7z using "ultra settings" -t7z 7z archive -m0=lzma lzma method -mx=9 level of compression = 9 (Ultra) -mfb=64 number of fast bytes for LZMA = 64 -md=32m dictionary size = 32 megabytes -ms=on solid archive = on EXAMPLE 2 7zr a -sfx archive.exe dir1 add all files from directory "dir1" to SFX archive archive.exe (Remark : SFX archive MUST end with ".exe") EXAMPLE 3 7zr a -mhe=on -pmy_password archive.7z a_directory add all files from directory "a_directory" to the archive "archive.7z" (with data and header archive encryption on) SEE ALSO
7z(1), 7za(1), bzip2(1), gzip(1), zip(1) HTML Documentation /usr/share/doc/packages/p7zip/DOCS/MANUAL/index.htm AUTHOR
Written for Debian by Mohammed Adnene Trojette. Mohammed Adnene Trojette September 1 2006 7zr(1)