Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can't open boot_archive error message Post 302522485 by feg on Sunday 15th of May 2011 02:12:00 PM
Old 05-15-2011
here is the procedure that I followed to restore the File system. Unfortunately the admin system didn't do the backup for /opt so I only restored root, var and usr Smilie

Code:
Step 1: Boot the server on OBP
Start the OS with solaris dvd 
ok>boot cdrom -s

STEP 2: Create structure for root, var and usr
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4

Mount the root partition to restore it
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a

Step 3: Insert the backup tape to restore the root

# cd /a
# ufsrestore rvf /dev/rmt/0
# rm restoresymtable

Step 4: Mount also the partition /usr et /var:

# mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 /a/usr
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 /a/var

Step 5: Restore /var and /usr
# cd /a/var
# ufsrestore rvf /dev/rmt/0 /var
# rm restoresymtable

# cd /a/usr
# ufsrestore rvf /dev/rmt/0 /usr
# rm restoresymtable
Inserer le tape de backup de la partition /var
# cd /a/var
# ufsrestore rvf /dev/rmt/0
# rm restoresymtable

Verify /etc/vfstab 

STEP 6: Umount all filesystems
# cd /
# umount /a/usr
# umount /a/var
# umount /a

# cd /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs
# installboot bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

---------- Post updated at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:10 PM ----------

I didn't type the metastat but I guess it won't work, i will try it

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

I'm getting an error - symbol referencing errors. No output written to, etc Can anybody tell me why this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dan Rooney
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PCC-F-NOERRFILE, unable to open error message file, facility PR2

I am trying to build a tuxedo server which in turn depends on several Pro*C programs. I am doing it on HP-UX system. It looks to me that the ORACLE_HOME is set properly. But I am getting error message when trying to build. PCC-F-NOERRFILE, unable to open error message file, facility PR2 exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting last error message

Question for unix programmers - what function I need to used to get the exact error message when the library failed to load? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tttttt
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open a file in VI and I get the message below:

@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Error Message: find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle

I am using the "find" command below and it respond with the error message " find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle" what does it mean? what can I do about it? Need advice, thanks. below are the command that I enter, the respond and the error message: root@ScripServer:/# find / -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error message: What does it mean?

I get this error message in my maillog. Can someone tell me what it means? SYSERR(root): collect: I/O error on connection from mail-05.goomba.com I guess it means that the server could not connect to mail-06.goomba.com. Is my interpretation correct? Any idea why it happens? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PCC-F-NOERRFILE, unable to open error message file

Hi, I was compiling few C programs in the unix server and getting the following error message rm: /home/a0xxx28/AVT/SEEDLIBRARYDB/LIB/*.a non-existent proc MODE=ANSI CODE=ANSI_C INCLUDE=/home/a0xxx28/PVT/SEEDLIBRARYDB/INCLUDE INCLUDE=/home/a0xxx28/PVT/SEEDLIBRARY/INCLUDE ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error message when use fork with open file

I get this message when I write myshell.c program "VM pagefault:SIGSEGV bad add 0x0 err 0x4 nopage read myshell PM: ciredump signal 11 for 1725 /myshell memory fault (core dumped)" /* RCS information: $Id: myshell.c,v 1.2 2006/04/05 22:46:33 elm Exp $ */ #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rosecomp
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

When trying to open file Message:-Terminal too wide?

Hi, I am trying to open small size file only in vi editor on solaris or Linux machine but it giving message "Terminal too wide" and then I have to come out. As shown below:- -rwxr-x--- 1 rkycadm rkycprd 2445 Sep 12 04:06 $ vi file.txt Terminal too wide :q! ----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
2 Replies
installboot(1M)                                                                                                                    installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)