Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacing hex characters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replacing hex characters Post 302522442 by figaro on Sunday 15th of May 2011 10:27:53 AM
Old 05-15-2011
Thank you for your suggestion. Also here carriage returns are removed as well as spaces, so the result is that all non-space characters appear on one line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but last Hex characters in a text line

I must remove hex characters 0A and 0D from several fields within an MS Access Table. Since I don't think it can be done in Access, I am trying here. I am exporting a Table from Access (must be fixed length fields, I think, for my idea to work here) into a text format. I then want to run a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAH
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Hex characters of ascii file

Hi, Whats the command or how do you display the hexadecimal characters of an ascii file. thanks Bud (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing characters

hi all I have a file that has sone spaces in start then / at last. i want to get rid of this. how to do? eg. 11414/ 49878/ 27627/ I WANT THE FILE AS 11414 49878 27627 PLEASE HELP (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Characters

Hi All, I have a file which is delimeted with the character '. i need to replace this character with the same character and also a new line. Can anyone please help me with the tr command for this. Many thanks Karan (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karansachdeva
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Characters with |

Hi All, example data.log 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 I want like this to 526569346|66815531961|09 526569346|66815531961|09... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing hex characters '\x0D' with '\x0D\x0A'

Hello All, I have a requirement where I need to replaced the hex character - '\x0D' with 2 hex characters - 'x0D' & 'x0A' I am trying to use SED - But somehow its not working. Any pointers? Also the hex character '\x0D' can occur anywhere in the line. Can this also be accomplished... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hex values to displayable characters

Hi, I am a bit stuck with displaying characters. I am having values like below in the proper displayable characters. which I would want to print the actual value on the right hand side. I dont want to create an array because I would have to create 255 different values. isnt there another way of... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for hex characters - explanation?

Hello, Yesterday I was looking for a way to grep for a tab in the shell, and found this solution in several places: grep $'a' # Grep for the letter 'a' between two tabs I'm fine with most of this, but I don't understand what the $ (dollar sign) before the first quote does. It doesn't work... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mregine
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

10. HP-UX

Replacing Hex Characters In A File Using awk?

Hi guys, First off, i'm a complete noob to UNIX and LINUX so apologies if I don't understand the basics! I have a file which contains a hex value of '0D' at the end of each line when I look at it in a hex viewer. I need to change it so it contains a hex value of '0D0A0A' I thought... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyBSG
10 Replies
ASA(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    ASA(1)

NAME
asa -- interpret carriage-control characters SYNOPSIS
asa [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The asa utility reads files sequentially, mapping FORTRAN carriage-control characters to line-printer control sequences, and writes them to the standard output. The first character of each line is interpreted as a carriage-control character. The following characters are interpreted as follows: <space> Output the rest of the line without change. 0 Output a <newline> character before printing the rest of the line. 1 Output a <formfeed> character before printing the rest of the line. + The trailing <newline> of the previous line is replaced by a <carriage-return> before printing the rest of the line. Lines beginning with characters other than the above are treated as if they begin with <space>. EXIT STATUS
The asa utility exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To view a file containing the output of a FORTRAN program: asa file To format the output of a FORTRAN program and redirect it to a line-printer: a.out | asa | lpr SEE ALSO
f77(1) STANDARDS
The asa utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') and to X/Open Commands and Utilities Issue 5 (``XCU5''). AUTHORS
J.T. Conklin, Winning Strategies, Inc. BSD
September 23, 1993 BSD