Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacing hex characters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replacing hex characters Post 302522428 by figaro on Sunday 15th of May 2011 09:35:46 AM
Old 05-15-2011
Code:
tr -dc '[:print:]' < infile > outfile

Thank you for the suggestion. The method also leaves out the carriage returns, so that the result appears on one line as opposed to rows.

---------- Post updated at 15:35 ---------- Previous update was at 15:22 ----------

Code:
tr -sc '[:rune:]' ' ' < file.dat > file_.dat
sed -i '' -e 's/[^[:print:]][^[:print:]]*/ /g' file.dat

Both of these commands seem to work. Thank you also for your suggestion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but last Hex characters in a text line

I must remove hex characters 0A and 0D from several fields within an MS Access Table. Since I don't think it can be done in Access, I am trying here. I am exporting a Table from Access (must be fixed length fields, I think, for my idea to work here) into a text format. I then want to run a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAH
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Hex characters of ascii file

Hi, Whats the command or how do you display the hexadecimal characters of an ascii file. thanks Bud (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing characters

hi all I have a file that has sone spaces in start then / at last. i want to get rid of this. how to do? eg. 11414/ 49878/ 27627/ I WANT THE FILE AS 11414 49878 27627 PLEASE HELP (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Characters

Hi All, I have a file which is delimeted with the character '. i need to replace this character with the same character and also a new line. Can anyone please help me with the tr command for this. Many thanks Karan (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karansachdeva
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Characters with |

Hi All, example data.log 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 I want like this to 526569346|66815531961|09 526569346|66815531961|09... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing hex characters '\x0D' with '\x0D\x0A'

Hello All, I have a requirement where I need to replaced the hex character - '\x0D' with 2 hex characters - 'x0D' & 'x0A' I am trying to use SED - But somehow its not working. Any pointers? Also the hex character '\x0D' can occur anywhere in the line. Can this also be accomplished... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hex values to displayable characters

Hi, I am a bit stuck with displaying characters. I am having values like below in the proper displayable characters. which I would want to print the actual value on the right hand side. I dont want to create an array because I would have to create 255 different values. isnt there another way of... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for hex characters - explanation?

Hello, Yesterday I was looking for a way to grep for a tab in the shell, and found this solution in several places: grep $'a' # Grep for the letter 'a' between two tabs I'm fine with most of this, but I don't understand what the $ (dollar sign) before the first quote does. It doesn't work... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mregine
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

10. HP-UX

Replacing Hex Characters In A File Using awk?

Hi guys, First off, i'm a complete noob to UNIX and LINUX so apologies if I don't understand the basics! I have a file which contains a hex value of '0D' at the end of each line when I look at it in a hex viewer. I need to change it so it contains a hex value of '0D0A0A' I thought... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyBSG
10 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)