Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Maximum Value of similar lines Post 302522390 by ahamed101 on Sunday 15th of May 2011 04:38:28 AM
Old 05-15-2011
"a" is an associative array with key,value combination. Here key:value will be orange:10, orange:50, green:30 etc.
In the first run, a[orange] will be 10, in the second run, a[orange] will be 20 and so on
$2 prints the values i.e. 50, 30 etc, initially a[$1] will be blank

Algorithm used is
1. start - a[$1]=0
2. If $2(which is the value) > a[$1] then a[$1]=$2(newvalue)
3. Read next line
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 until EOF
5. Print the array a

regards,
Ahamed
This User Gave Thanks to ahamed101 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent : Merge similar lines

Hi, I have a file like this. please notice that ./usr/orders1/order_new_2627 appears more than once, thus needs to be merged. I would like to merge the lines where the first column match so the output should be like this: Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the similar lines

Dear Friends myself Avinash working in bash shell The problem goes like this I have a file called work.txt assume that first colum=mac address second colum= IP third colum = port number ---------------------------------------- 00:12:23:34 192.168.50.1 2 00:12:23:35 192.168.50.1 5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avi.skynet
2 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Remove Similar Lines from a File

I have a log file "logreport" that contains several lines as seen below: 04:20:00 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 06:38:08 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 07:11:05 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging similar lines

Greetings, I have been trying to merge the following lines: Sat. May 9 8:00 PM Sat. May 9 8:00 PM CW Sat. May 9 8:00 PM CW Cursed Sat. May 9 9:00 PM Sat. May 9 9:00 PM CW Sat. May 9 9:00 PM CW Sanctuary Sat. May 16 8:00 PM Sat. May 16 8:00 PM CW Sat. May 16 8:00 PM CW Sanctuary Sat. May... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adambot
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting similar lines

Hi, I have a little problem with counting lines. I know similar topics from this forum, but they don't resolve my problem. I have file with lines like this: 2009-05-25 16:55:32,143 some text some regular expressions ect. 2009-05-25 16:55:32,144 some text. 2009-05-28 18:15:12,148 some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove one of each similar lines in a file

Hello folks I have a question for you gurus of sed or grep (maybe awk, but I would prefer the first two) I have a file (f1) that says: (actually, these are not numbers but md5sum, but for simplicity, let's assume these numbers.) 1 2 3 4 5And I have a file (f2) that says 1|a 1|b 1|c 2|d... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tukuyomi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting lines from a file with similar first name

consider i have two files cat onlyviews1.sql CREATE VIEW V11 AS SELECT id, name, FROM etc etc WHERE etc etc; CREATE VIEW V22 AS SELECT id, name, FROM etc etc WHERE etc etc; CREATE VIEW V33 AS (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines with similar tokens

I have 2 files, and I wish to count number of lines with this characteristic: if any token at line x in file1, is similar to a token at line x in file2. Here's an example: file1: ab, abc ef fg file2: ab cd ef gh In this case I wish to get 3. Note that token of file1 are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to select lines with maximum value of each record based on column value

Hello, I want to get the maximum value of each record separated by empty line based on the 3rd column of each row within each record? Input: A1 chr5D 634 7 82 707 A2 chr5D 637 6 82 713 A3 chr5D 637 5 82 713 A4 chr5D 626 1 82 704... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Getting similar lines in two files

Hi, I need to compare the /etc/passwd files from 2 servers, and extract the users that are similar in these two files. I sorted the 2 files based on the user IDs (UID) (3rd column). I first sorted the files using the username (1st column), however when I use comm to compare the files there is no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  CGI::Pretty(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD>foo</TD> </TR> </TABLE> Recommendation for when to use CGI::Pretty CGI::Pretty is far slower than using CGI.pm directly. A benchmark showed that it could be about 10 times slower. Adding newlines and spaces may alter the rendered appearance of HTML. Also, the extra newlines and spaces also make the file size larger, making the files take longer to download. With all those considerations, it is recommended that CGI::Pretty be used primarily for debugging. Tags that won't be formatted The following tags are not formatted: <a>, <pre>, <code>, <script>, <textarea>, and <td>. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser causing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm distribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CGI::Pretty(3pm)