Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Migrating from HP UX to LINUX/SOLARIS- which one is more preferable? Post 302522363 by methyl on Saturday 14th of May 2011 09:10:13 PM
Old 05-14-2011
Assuming decent scale I'd modernise the hardware and software and continue with HP-UX. Porting a large-scale application written in a low-level language to another platform is very high risk.
If this is a trivial application, the platform is largely immaterial providing that you have good programmers.
Whatever the decision, trial the application on sample new platforms and test throughly before making the change.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migrating from HP to Solaris

My company is considering migrating from HP unix to Solaris just to get two more years of support for a particular software product. My question is just how much of an effort is it to do this migration? Are you aware of any migration tools to assist us in this migration? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migrating Solaris 9 to different hardware

Hi, I am new to this forum and hope someone can help. Does anyone know how to restore a Solaris 9 backup tape from server A to a completely different server B hardware. Both boxes are sun 64bit. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you Jan. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snerta
5 Replies

3. Linux

Migrating from SENDMAIL on SUN SOLARIS to POSTFIX on Linux

Migrating from sendmail on SUN Solaris to POSTFIX on Linux. I have been asked to migrate our sendmail to postfix on Linux and would appreciate and information. Hints and tips on the process involved. Perhaps any links to useful site or documentation that you may know about. Many Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Migrating from Unix to Linux

Is there a way to migrate username password from Freebsd 6.1 to Linux Ubuntu 8.04. I am using the server as a email server running postfix and using imap. Is there a way to transfer the usernames and password. I have transferred all the Maildirs but I am getting uid errors and gid errors even after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbizzell
2 Replies

5. Linux

Migrating RCS from HP-UX to Linux

Hello all, We would be migrating from HP-UX 11 to Red Hat Linux 5 shortly. On HP-UX we've been using RCS (Revision Control system). On RHEL I think there is an equivilant utility called Subversion..Is there a way to export the current contents from RCS in HP-UX and import it into Linux's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Migrating Oracle on Solaris Sparc to Linux RHEL 7 VM

Hi Gurus, We are migrating Oracle from Solaris to RHEL 7 and looking for Solaris equivalent commands for Linux. we are using lot of korn shell scripts built on Solaris so, i am looking for equivalent commands which are using in Solaris.. Could you please help me here by proving any info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mssprince
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Migrating Oracle on Solaris Sparc to Linux RHEL 7 VM

Hi Gurus, We are migrating Oracle from Solaris to RHEL 7 and looking for Solaris equivalent commands for Linux. we are using lot of korn shell scripts built on Solaris so, i am looking for equivalent commands which are using in Solaris.. Could you please help me here by proving any info ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mssprince
4 Replies
install-solaris(1M)                                                                                                            install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)