Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: a few single line command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting a few single line command Post 302522146 by Tytalus on Friday 13th of May 2011 11:35:20 AM
Old 05-13-2011
show us what you think/have tried, and I'm sure you'll get some pointers...I know you say this isn't homework, but it sure smells like homework :-).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

single line command

i need to search for a single pattern in three different logs....what would be the best one line script???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanjain2
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run command Unix on a single line

Hi everybody.. I need to enter in bash mode and then run a command and this just in a single command line. I tried : "bash ^M| somecommand" but nothing.. How do I do to simulate the return button just right after the bash command ? Thanks.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riddick61
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single line file editing command?

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot about the various different text editors at my disposal through Unix, but I just can't seem to close the deal for what I am trying to do. Is there a way to issue a single line command to edit a file where pattern=x, and do it non-destructively AND in-place?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gator76
1 Replies

4. AIX

ls command output in single line

Hi, Can anyone suggest me how can I display the output of ls command in single line with some delimiter say pipe (|)? I know it can be done by writing a script by using the loops but I wanted to know are there any other single line commands? Thanks for your help Sheshadri (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Merging two command into single line

1. du -sch int* | grep "total" | awk '{print $1}' first command result is 17K 2. echo "B" Result B i want the output is 17KB (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issuing a Here Document as a Single Line Command

How can I run a here document on just one line? I ask, because I need to issue it from C++ as a system() or similar command and for security reasons I don't want to write out a shell script file from the program and run it. For example, how could I write: passwd test <<EOF n3wp3ss... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonShw
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Two scripts in a single command line

Hi All, I have two scripts which i want to run in a single command line(or in a single script). And if both the scripts in the main script fail then i want to pass a value to a Application specific utility which will trigger some alert.The value can be anything. Somebody please help.It is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shroh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Su and run single line command

myenv.sh script sets LOG_DIR variable. I can run the script and echo the variable in a single line as: # First set LOG_DIR to some dummy 'NONE' value $ export LOG_DIR="NONE" $ echo ${LOG_DIR} NONE $ cat /tmp/bin/myenv.sh export LOG_DIR="/tmp/log" #The below command doesn't show the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies
PURITY(6)							   Games Manual 							 PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)