Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular Expression In Sed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Regular Expression In Sed Post 302522111 by royalibrahim on Friday 13th of May 2011 10:32:55 AM
Old 05-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsgnb
Code:
# echo  abc 123 def 456  |  sed 's|\([a-z]*\) \([0-9]*\)|\1|2'
abc 123 def
# echo  abc 123 def 456  |  sed 's|\([a-z]*\) \([0-9]*\)|\1|g'
abc def

But, I am getting different ouput on GNU sed version 4.1.5
Code:
echo abc 123 def 456 | sed 's|\([a-z]*\) \([0-9]*\)|\1|2'

# Ans: abc 123def 456

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with sed

Hi, I'm trying following:echo "test line XA24433 test" | sed 's/.*X\(.*\)/X\1/' XA24433 test While I want the output as: XA24433 I want to grab the words starting with letter X till the next space, this word can be anywhere in the line. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with SED

Hi! I'm trying to write a regexp but I have no luck... I have a string like this: param1=sometext&param2=hello&param3=bye Also, the string can be simply: param2=hello I want to return the value of param2: "hello". How can I do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GagleKas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression (sed)

Hi I need to get text that are within "" For example File: asdasd "test test2" sadasds asdda asdasd "demo demo2" Output: test test2 demo demo2 Any help is good Thank you (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blito_loco
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regular expression help

please consider this: echo "11111*X*005010X279~ST*270*1111111*005010X279~BHT*0011*11" | sed 's/.*\(005010X(\d)(\d)(\d)*\).*$/\1/'i'm searching for first occurrence of 005010X while leaving rest of characters out. :confused: any tips? thnx in advance guys. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep01
7 Replies

5. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed regular expression

Hi all, I want to get a substring from a string based on given delimiter, for example: str="foo|bar|baz" with delimiter "|", I want to get one substring at each time with the order number the substring in the whole string, given 1 to get "foo", given 2 to get "bar", given 3 to get "baz", I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning regular expression in sed,Please help me understand the use curly bracket in sed,

I am learning SED and just following the shell scripting book, i have trouble understanding the grep and sed statement, Question : 1 __________ /opt/oracle/work/antony>cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regular expression

Hi , I need to remove pipe character from a |^ delimeted file. Something like |^tran|sformers||^|revenge |of fallen|^ to |^transformers|^revenge of fallen|^... Cold anybody please help to build the regular expression using sed . many thanks. Please use code tags next time for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokjek
1 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)